Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ossie12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Coping electronic key fobs
    How do I copy the programme from one electronic gate key fob to another to give me 2 fobs
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
    You don't. You get additional ones from the dealer.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:32 AM

Without any model numbers, you probably train the receiver to accept the new Keyfob although the procedure used in my car to program a RFID key rivals wierdness. Lately though, key programming is becoming a dealer only OEM scan tool option.

Could be as simple as press this button on receiver. Press keyfob until x light blinks.

An alarm system I have uses voice prompts to erase and add transmitters with the "secret button". Linear (Linear Technology - Linear Home Page) makes a lot of RF stuff for alarm companies.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Don't today's key fobs have a revolving set of codes, i.e.. A challenge-response system?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 12:25 PM

They are not two way communications, but some do use a revolving code set known only to the manufacturer. So, for garage door openers, mom and pop can have different door keys.

Exactly how it works, who can guess. Say a transmitter spits out 3 codes and the door opens. Another xmitter spits out three codes and the door opens. As long as the sequence is known by both, your fine and it's not the same 3 each time. Hence, revolving codes. Or if the codes are continually transmitted in a specific order and when the opener gets a few in a row, it decides to open the door.

Homelink in cars allows one to learn a transmitter, so I suppose it's doing exactly that. Remembering the code sequence of the transmitters when the button is held down.

The transmitter could also have a unique serial number and use that as part of it's sequence.

There is a chip from one of the manufactures that creates a unique 128 bit number which can be read. Using this info, which make a lot of combinations, the key is learned. The car computer only has room for a few codes, say 8.

See: HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coping with bullies [ 5 Answers ]

At school some (well lots) people are mean to me. I have a few friends but a majority of people just tease me or talk behind my back. There is one girl, she joined school just this year, at first I thought she was nice, but then she had her little group of friends and a few peple who I considered...

Coping with PTSD [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have been mis diaagnosed for 20 years and after the Dotr I had been seeing for 20 years sold up, I managed to get into the collage he had banned me from seeing when I tried to change doctors in 2001 but he locked me into him. I have been taken off all the medication ( i.e. lagatil...

Re-tile and new coping [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- Gunite pool repair help seems to be minimal on the web. I would like to know if replacing both coping and tile what to do first, the coping or the tile and why? Thanks

Coping DVDs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a CD burner and a DVD burner I also have Nero, Burn4 Free and Any DVD, Clone 2 and WinMx I still am unable to burn a DVD. I can copy from one to another but I can not burn from DVDs downloaded from WinMx. Any DVD said I needed a patch but I am new to all of this and I need help:eek: Thanks...

.coping like a moron. [ 1 Answers ]

Welll Ill post this "question" here and hope that this is where it actually belongs. I have in the past wrote questions based on my tromatice past, and this one well relates but won't get into the past details. With my past destroying so much of me, and me being the stubbern person I am, I've...

View more questions Search