Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendeladams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Floor drain in basement slab
    To provide adequate drainage, what is the recommended distance or code (IRC) for the floor drain to be below the slab surface?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendeladams View Post
    To provide adequate drainage, what is the recommended distance or code (IRC) for the floor drain to be below the slab surface?
    UPC 412.4 Floor Slope Floors shall be slopped to floor drains where drainage occurs on a regular or frequent basis.
    In my area for a single family residence we position the top of the floor drain 1 inch under the pour. The exception to this would be if this were a commercial installation, such as a restaurant , where the contract calls for a larger sloped area.
    Hope this helps. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 10:59 AM

I don't know if I understand your question completely. But, drain inlet itself is flush with floor lever and pipe from the drain should be bellow the slab, slopped towards 4" drain at 1/4" per foot. Slab thickness varies: residential is 3 1/2" minimum and commercial is 6" and thicker.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2009, 04:35 PM
    The question's simple Milo, He wants to know how deep to position the floor drain.
    drain inlet itself is flush with floor lever
    Are you saying that there should be no slope to the drain inlet/ strainer? I'm sure you didn't mean that unless I've lost the meaning of drain inlet. You were referring to the top of the floor drain weren't you? Cheers Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendeladams View Post
    Yep, Tom, he says "below the slab surface"? What ? The bottom of the trap ? Top of the drain pipe itself ? Question is a bit vague to me... Maybe he'll drop by again to with more specific question...

There is no mention of the floor slope so that's why I didn't know whether I was on the same track... Cheers... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Drain Pipe in basement slab [ 12 Answers ]

Plummber has confirmed I have a broken drain pipe about 6 ft from where it enters my basement. It appears to be running across the full length of my basement so I am wondering will the remaining pipe also break. Is there a way to reinforce the remaining pipe once I gain access to the break?

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Shower P-trap in a basement with concrete slab floor [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, The bathroom in the basement has a 2.5" raised floor, the new shower has a very low base (the shower pan is about 1" above the floor). The P-trap I found need about 7.5" vertical clearance. Without rising shower base, what is the best way to make room for th P-trap? If I have to...

Floor drain on slab [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon to all. Recently began to remodel a small bath on a slab. Problem. Bath is on a slab, it only has a shower and toilet. I have removed shower and would like to install a vanity and toilet only. All the walls are concrete block, and concrete slab floor. There was not vanity before and...

View more questions Search