Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCTiger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Rental Agency took rent yet is leasing out
    I signed a one year lease with a downtown apartment complex.

I decided to leave 10 months into my lease but I decided to pay ahead the last 2 months (since I knew I legally had to pay it). The apartment complex KNEW I was leaving as I gave them back the keys and let them know.

I find out through ComEd (power agency) that someone else put their name on my apartment power-wise thus meaning the apartment complex RENTED OUT my place for the final month... full month mind you, not just 1-2 weeks left.

Can I get a refund back? Shouldn't they have told me? It can't be legal to charge rent for 1 place two times, can it?

:(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 03:52 PM

Yes, they cannot collect rent (which is what they have done) from 2 people for the same month. File in Small Claims Court and bring any proof you have with you.

I think you are a 100% winner in this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate not paying rent/no rental agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I own a house in CA. I rent out three rooms. One roommate moved in in Dec.07 her rent is $750.00 a month and she has only give me a told of $680.00 for three months rent. The first month I let her pay $500.00, her parents kicked her out and I felt bad for her I tried to give her a break. The second...

Return of rent on illegal rental [ 7 Answers ]

I rent a house in DC. The landlord is not in compliance with DC regulations for having a business license required for rental property. I have filed a tenant petition for illegal rent increase and a number of other issues. Will the landlord have to return the rental payments to me that were gained...

Loss of rent can you claim it as an expense of the rental [ 2 Answers ]

If you own two homes One is your primary the other you rented. 07 was the first year as a rental While trying to find a rentor the house was empty for some time and it has taken 5 months to rent can you claim loss of rent as a cost for those five months?

Rent raised after repairs made in rental [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true? ...

I moved out of my rental, and I still continued to pay rent. [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband and I moved out of our rental, we were still in contract for another 6 months. We did the right thing, gave a "move out notice" and advised that we would still pay for the remainder of the 6 months which we were responsible for. They required us to keep all of the utilities on in...

View more questions Search