Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheldun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Gas furnace fan turns on but nothing comes out
    When I turn on my gas furnace, the pilot light comes on, but goes off afer a couple of minutes after having produced nothing. When I turn on the manual fan, it starts up, but no air comes out. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 04:39 PM
    There is a sensor that tells the control board the pilot is on. The sensor could be bad, or the board may not power the gas valve, or the gas valve could be bad. It is a matter of finding the components, a place to check for voltage, and following the sequence.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light turns on and off by itself [ 5 Answers ]

We have had five Hampton Bay ceiling fans in our home for about 6 years, and have never had any them do anything out of the ordinary. But for the past couple of days the lights have been turning on and off by themselves, even while the remote is in clear view and nothing is touching it. And they...

Knocking in furnace when AC turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My AC is cooling OK, after I spent $250 last week having a new blower motor put in the furnace unit, but it continues to make a "knocking" sounds for a minute or two after the fan shuts off. It's so loud it wakes me up, which is why I'm posting at 5:20 A.M.; I also noticed that the line is icing up.

Furnace blower turns on and off [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace comes on and heats properly. After it turns off the blower kicks on and off several times more times.

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search