Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Is there hope for this little guy
    A stray cat gave birth to kittens this weekend in a tree behind our apartment. The mother came back and took 2 of them. But left the 'runt' probably because she didn't feel he was going to make it. He is EXTREAMLY tiny. BUT seems to be in good health otherwise. He is eating (pet milk through a kitten bottle) and peeing like a champ. He is about 4 days old. His umbillical cord just came off yesterday (his mother didn't chew it off, she just sort of left him to fend for himself) we took him in because it was 106* outside and he surely would have died.

My question is, with him being a runt, being 4 days old, and having been left alone in the heat for so long, could he still have a chance? He mews nice and loud. And climbs around and nuzzles for nipples and all the good signs. But I've never 'nursed' a kitten before. Puppys yes, but not kittens. Especially not a runt kitten.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 10:58 AM

Sounds like he is going strong if he is moving around and has a good set of lungs on him.

Just keep an eye out for laboured/raspy breathing as well as eye problems.

I imagine it would be very similar to raising a young pup, feed every few hours, stimulate with a wet cloth so he urinates and defacates.

Are you going to keep him?
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:00 AM

My mom wants him :p but I might fight her for him. He is all white. And SOOO cute. Hehe. He is so young! His eyes are still closed and his ears don't even pop up unless he is eating :P then they sort of go up and down.

He isn't pooping yet. Should we be worried about that do you think? He pees amlost ALL the time, but no poop yet at all.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:05 AM

I would be a little worried about the pooping.
    Just use a warm rag and keep rubbing him bottom, make sure he is in a comfortable position while you are doing it.
    I remember years ago we had a runt puppy that the mother rejected and we had to go through all this... just trying to jog my memory!
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:06 AM

OK thanks hon :D
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:07 AM

You know there must be pictures right :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:21 AM

Not yet lol. He is at my moms place cause we live in an apartmetn and are not allowed to have pets without paying gfor them first. But I can probably find a picture that looks like him.

Let me look...

Here we go :D this looks exactly like him/her except the ears are down completely against his head.

Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:25 AM

Awwwww, he's so tiny :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:27 AM

He is even tiner than this. This picture is a pic of an average sized newborn I think. The kitten we have fits in my daughters 5 year old hands! He is so tiny. I'm just glad he is just tiny. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of weakness or anything. Just no poop.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jul 7, 2009, 09:01 AM
    How to Raise Orphan Kittens

Here's a link. Cow or goat's milk shouldn't be used. The article recommends cat milk replacer from a veterinarian. Also, they should be "stimulated" to pee and poop after every feeding. It tells how. Good luck, and keep us posted! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:19 AM

Oooh thanks! He is now pooping! Hehe
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:39 AM

Wow, that's very tiny... I didn't expect it to be as small as that! Glad that it is doing good Jennie! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:40 AM

Do you guys think we can clip his nails? The only thing I can find on it is clipping their nails after a month old. But can you do it BEFORE that? I know how to clip without hitting the quick. So no worries about that. But I don't want to do it too soon. His nails are NEEDLE sharp though lol

Jul 8, 2009, 07:07 AM
    They do have sharp little nails, but I'd hold off until he's a bit older. If he's that tiny, it would be difficult to miss the quick. Just wait until those "needle sharp" teeth come in... good times! :) Glad he's pooping, keep up the good work!
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:07 AM

Hehe. Yeah I can't wait till his teeth come in. he is already showing that he is a vigorous biter :P he gums us to death when he eats :P I know it's a natural rooting process but I do NOT envy mother cats! At least my newborn didn't bite DOWN! (at least until she was older)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:12 AM

Just following the thread.
    That kitten has gorgeous!
    Any names picked yet,and how are the others doing?
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:23 AM

He is midget :P he is doing great. Starting to try walking, already climbs up shirts when he is getting fed. We still don't evne know if it's a boy or a girl. But we are hoping for boy, because my mom already has 2 boy cats. Throwing a girl in there wouldn't be good
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:26 AM

Midget.. thats brillent,he will probably grow into a massive tom! Or massive she cat.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:28 AM

Haha yeah your right. He is midget now, but he will be HUGE just because we named him midget :P

Jul 8, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Please keep us posted about Midget... and post some pics when you are able!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hope. [ 13 Answers ]

I'm almost 22, I've never dated a girl, I'm financially unstable, I hate my job, I hate the job I'm going to school for, I hate the thought of working for the next forty something years and then waiting to die, I'm certain if I ever did get married I'd soon thereafter get divorced, I'm certain if I...

Is there hope or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone Well my Parnter/Lover ( well I still call her that as I just can't accept that after 18 years she ended our relationship) As you now I am in a civil Partnership with another Woman - we still live in the same house and share a bed (even so nothing happens as she does not want me...

Is there any hope? [ 7 Answers ]

Please be straight with me. I'm 22 years old and I can't get a girlfriend for any thing at all. Now I can get to her friendship but I can't get her to love me. Or if I see a girl I want to maybe be with I can't get her to like me, you know i'll see her and I don't know what to do. and yes I do be...

Is there any hope for me? [ 2 Answers ]

My question is if you have an abortion what are your chances for concieving again? I had one 5 years ago and now me and my boyfriend have been trying and nothing. Any advice?

Is there hope for me? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, to everyone my name is peaches.I just have a question, I am a 25 yr old female who has 2 children ages 8 and 7 years of age I have been wanting to have more kids since for ever and have been unsuccessful. My current boyfriend doesn't have any kids and he wants one I don't know if it is me...

View more questions Search