Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akjen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Need to find out information about adoption 70 yrs ago
    My father died several years ago. We recently found out that he had been adopted as a newborn. No one has any further information. For health and personal reasons, we would like to pursue this and find out about his family. How can we do this?
    Thanks!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 07:26 AM

You're going to have a VERY hard time with this.

Adoption records from that time were closed---and may as well be sealed with cement for how hard access to them is. Add to that the fact that no one KEPT medical records on file for birthparents at the time AND the fact that the birthparents (and any possible subsequent children) may already be deceased---you're fighting a losing battle.

If you have a serious (life-threatening) legitimate need for medical records to find possible relations (as for an organ donation, or bone marrow transplant) you MAY be able to get a judge to open records, but the likelihood is low.

Most doctors only want you to go back to your grandparents for medical information anyway.

You could always hire a private investigator---but unless you can get a LOT of information on your own (the adoption agency used, the location of the birth, etc), you're going to be paying a lot of money for little to no information, in probability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closed adoption how do you find your biological family? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was adopted and wants to find his biological famliy. He would like to know if he has brothers or sister and we would like to know famliy med history please help me get stared in the rite place. Thank you any one that can help

Trying to find my brother who was given up for adoption and I've recently found our f [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for my birth brother that was given up for adoption 31 yrs ago. I feel incomplete I've found my birth father 10yrs ago and his family and we'd love to find my brother now How do start where do I start? Hopeful

Finding information on an adoption in the late 1800's [ 3 Answers ]

I am researching my family tree and in the process I have learned that my Great Grand Father was adopted. How would I go about finding information on that?

View more questions Search