Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nevmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
    How to place a lien on a home
    My sister owes me $7000 which is a large sum for me. Can I place a lien on her home to guarantee that I will eventually get my money back.

How would I go about doing this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 02:57 PM

First you need to file a lawsuit against her. Then you need to win a judgment. With that judgment order you may file a lien against her property. There is no way to get around going to court and having a Judge issue a Judgment.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 03:43 PM
    There is one other way... if your sister signs a mortgage and you have the mortgage recorded in the county clerk's office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How are liens enforced if there is nothing to place a lien on? [ 14 Answers ]

if a notice of lien is filed against a person who doesn't own real estate or a car or anything of value, how can the lien be enforced? In this case, the money owed is for a loan for a care. The car was repossed by there was a still a large fee. I lien was recorded with the court. I am just...

Can a collections agency place a lien on my home if it has a joint owner on it? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a single woman with a live in friend. We bought a home together and two vehicles. I bought some equipement a few months ago but after a financial hardship could not afford the monthly bill. The company sold the account to another agency and now that agency is threating to take me to...

How do I place a lien on a property? [ 2 Answers ]

The Tittle Company will not close the sale because the legal ownership cannot be establised. The house will be abandoned. I am the executor of the Will. I have invested a large amount of money maintaining the property. How do I place a lien on the property to recover my money?

Buying privately with a lien in place [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to purchase a motorcycle out of province. The owner admits to having a lien on the bike with a major bank. The amount of the loan and consequential lien is $2500.00 more than the $5K asking price for the unit. What steps should be taken to ensure that if I pay the seller the asking...

Should I place a lien on property [ 4 Answers ]

My Dad passed away in 2003, without a will, me and my brother and sister are aon the warranty deed, I went to get a copy of all that. My step mom has not talked to u s in over a year. Now she has it up for sale and didn't say anything to us about it. Should we place a lien on the property or is...

View more questions Search