Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Looking for the Cleanout
    Jenniferb209 has asked a public question in Plumbing

Question Title : finding a cleanout to snake
    Question Details: I seem to have a clog in the main line, as I have both plunged
    And used drain opener without success. My tub drains extremely slow, and if
    There is any water in the tub, the toilet will not drain, just keep filling and
    Overflow unless I stop the water. I tried to run the snake down through the tub
    Overflow, but it wouldn't turn when it hit the next pipe or possibly a trap
    That bends sharply. It feels like it just hits metal, and I was unable to push
    It past or turn it. It is a very old house, probably built around 1930 I'm
    Guessing. The bathroom where I am having trouble is fairly close to the front of
    The house, and about 30-40 feet from the clean out in the front yard. I have
    Read on other sites to look for a \\\"higher\\\" cleanout if the first
    Doesn't work. I haven't been able to locate another one at all and
    Wondering if anyone knows how I might find another entry place. Could there be
    Another under the house? It would be difficult to get u!
    Nder there, so I don't want to just tear into it unless I know its possibly
    There. The snake I have is probably only 15-20 feet long and won't reach all
    The way back from the cleanout I know of. Any ideas?? The city already came out
    And said its not on their end, as no water backing up in the cleanout. I can see
    The water flowing very slowly when I shine a flashlight in it. So any ideas
    Greatly appreciated. I'm a single Mom and very broke right now, so I HAVE to
    Figure this out myself. Please help
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Hi Jenifer

The 30's are a little before my time but when I took my apprenticeship in the 40's back in Beloit Wisconsin I remember the cleanouts being in the basement. The inside drainage was cast iron and the outside sewer lines were Terra-Cotta. In my area in Florida we have no basements. All of our buildings are on slabs. We place the cleanout 18" off the hose4 foundation and bring it up to grade. Not having a cleanout is a drawback and having a snake that's only 15 or 20 feet long is another. If you can't locate a
    Cleanout then perhaps your best bet would be to rent a sewer snake and take a toilet upand snake from there. Good luck, Tom
    coopersm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
    How do I find a sewer clean out on a hydrostatic underslab system?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2010, 05:48 PM

Is this system in the basement or in a slab home? Let me knoiw. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

Cleanout access [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put in a laminate floor over the square hole in the basement that accesses the main sewer cleanout (3" PVC). What is the easiest and most recommendable way of doing that enabling access as well as making it aestatically pleasing? Any suggestions would be more than welcome...

View more questions Search