Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cohnaudio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Asphalt Driveway Resurfacing
    Just bought a house and the driveway has some cracks and when the delivery trucks came they damaged the driveway (gouges and when it was hot one day the tire indented the asphalt). The repair guy said the asphalt is tennis court grade, not commercial grade, which is why it is so soft. He suggested that rather than patching the 6 places, he could lay down 1 1/2" of commercial grade asphalt on top. He said the asphalt bonds permanently to the bottom layer and is good for 30 years (although the warranty is only for 2 years). Any ideas re whether this process really does hold up for that long? It makes sense to me to go this route rather than having numerous patches that will be visible. I am worried about ice getting between the layers and lifting it up. Anyone out there with experience with this?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 15, 2006, 06:53 AM
    A neighbor next to my parents house had theirs done this summer and it looks great. I don't know what the warranty is.

I can't see ice being a problem. They do this re-surfacing on highways throughout the country in all temps.
    That is a question for the installer. Ask if ice heaving is part of the 2 year warranty.

Also ask the installer at what time can sealer be put on the new surface. This will help protect the new surface also and help get your 30 years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 09:10 AM
    What ever the delivery company wants to pay for to repair the damage their trucks did would be OK,

The re-surface does great but a patch with a seal coat is great also.

But all of our highways and streets are resurfaced all the tiime, this is a common method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Over Asphalt? [ 5 Answers ]

My driveway is in need of repair. It is a straightforward enough job, being only 25' X 16'. I was going to have the old, existing asphalt resurfaced with a fresh coat. Simple and at a reasonable cost. However, my wife wants something a bit more elegant and, of course, expensive. I checked out...

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

Cutting into asphalt [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at installing snow melt into my asphalt driveway using pex syte tubing. I have 2 questions. 1. Since there are various turns, am I better off using a jack hammer or a concrete saw? I own a concrete saw but would have to buy a jack hammer. 2. Is there any issue with replacing the...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface Question [ 1 Answers ]

We had our very long driveway-1000ft long-resurfaced yesterday with 2 to3 inches of hot asphalt. We're getting conflicting info on how long to safely wait before driving our cars onto it, parking on it, allowing trucks such as garbage and gardener or oil delivery etc to drive onto it. It looks...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface [ 5 Answers ]

Our existing asphalt driveway is 21 years old and looks it. We were going to replace it with concrete, but with quotes coming in at around $5K to $6K, when I stopped crying I realized resurfacing the asphalt is the wise choice. The driveway is 25' long by 17' wide. It does have a puddling...

View more questions Search