Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shockshockshad Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2009, 02:31 PM
    A "different" beginners lizard
    Ok I know that when people ask "I want to get a lizard. what is a good beginners one", people usually answer with a bearded dragon, or leopard gecko or blue tongued skink or uromastix (I think that's how you spell it), but I am going to (probably) get a lizard, and I wanted to get something a little different or uncommon. I really like large lizards, such as monitors, but I'm not quite sure that it's a good choice for my first reptile. I have read a bunch of care sheets on savannah monitors and how they are the best beginners monitor. Are there any other options for me to look at that are relatively large and uncommon that are good for my first lizard?

P.S. I am willing to get a large enclosure like this one: https://www.cagesbydesign.com/produc...-x-48d-h3.aspx
    shockshockshad Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2009, 02:32 PM

Oh and I forgot, I'm not a big fan of iguanas :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 07:16 PM

Wow, that's quite the enclosure. I love it.

I don't know a lot about lizards. I think the main thing to consider is the accessibility of the lizard you want.

Rare, unusual, it's great, but not easy to find and will probably cost you a pretty penny, not only in the purchase but vet care.

I think alligator lizards are beautiful. Very colorful, big like you want, but when it comes to their care, I have no idea. Also, I don't know where you'd find one.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Let us know what you end up getting. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 02:23 AM

Wow!
    If you do get an enclosure like that come back and post pictures!
    That is beautiful!
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 6, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shockshockshad View Post
    Ok I know that when people ask "I want to get a lizard. what is a good beginners one", people usually answer with a bearded dragon, or leopard gecko or blue tongued skink or uromastix (I think thats how you spell it), but I am going to (probably) get a lizard, and I wanted to get something a little different or uncommon. I really like large lizards, such as monitors, but I'm not quite sure that it's a good choice for my first reptile. I have read a bunch of care sheets on savannah monitors and how they are the best beginners monitor. Are there any other options for me to look at that are relatively large and uncommon that are good for my first lizard?

P.S. i am willing to get a large enclosure like this one: https://www.cagesbydesign.com/produc...-x-48d-h3.aspx
    WOW that's really cool!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search