Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Mosquito Bite Caused Horrible pain and swelling?
    Last night I noticed what seemed like a mosquito on my ankle area. Of course it was biting me. I swated it and thought nothing of it. It did become red and swollen right after. Then this morning I noticed a really bad pain with my leg. It felt almost numb, but like a bruise. It is my bite from last night. I got up and it took awhile for me to walk. Because putting pressure on that leg hurt. So Im watching it, and Still REALLy swollen and hurts the same. Its not my whole leg but more my calf and ankle. Is this normal? Should I see a dr? Would allergy medicine work?

I have been bit before many times, but never have I reacted this way. :confused:
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Are you sure it was a mosquito and not some other type of insect? If reacting to a "mosquito bite" in such a manner is new for you, then I'd definitely see a doctor right away.

Jul 3, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Are you sure it was a mosquito and not some other type of insect? If reacting to a "mosquito bite" in such a manner is new for you, then I'd definitely see a doctor right away.
    Well it looked like one. Are there other bugs that look similar to a mosquito? I tried putting ice on it and it still hurts.

Jul 3, 2009, 03:00 PM
    I called my dr. and the office is closed for the holidays. Do you think its worth going to the emergency?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
    If you're still having the kind of pain and swelling you've described, then yes, get to an emergency care facility pronto.

Jul 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Thank you! :) I better go because I looked some things up online and it doesn't look like I should just sit around and wait
    rjsippel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiannahunt View Post
    Thank you! :) I better go because I looked some things up online and it doesn't look like I should just sit around and wait

I looked up a reaction I seem to be having to mosquito bites on my ankles. I found your questions about very similar reaction here online. Just wondering what ever became of your mosquito bites and pain at the ER when you went? Thank you.
    Rodopsin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
    I think there may be something weird going around that hasn't been made public yet. My sister has lived in the city all her life and was recently bit by something she never felt which caused a similar reaction. She woke up the next morning and couldn't move her thumb and it was red and inflamed and hurt when she would try to bend it. I don't know what bug it could have been, but I am sure it's not your typical city mosquito. A few days later a friend of mine who lives an hour away from my sister had the same symptoms but his bite was on his wrist. In both cases they were prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and within 2-3 day things were returning to normal. Sounds a little more than coincidence to me.
    zee211 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
    There does seem to be something weird going on, Im from Derby & I know numerous people who have been bitten by something. I have lots of bites on my feet & horrible leg pains - Don't know if its related but can't be a coincidence?
    cmdaniel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Really would like 2 know what the dr said... ive always been eaten up by skeeters more so than others... BUT LATELY, I sweel way more now and bruise and have severe pain to where I have trouble moving the bitten area...
    cmdaniel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdaniel View Post
    really would like 2 know what the dr said....ive always been eaten up by skeeters more so than others....BUT LATELY, i sweel way more now and bruise and have severe pain to where i have trouble movin the bitten area....
    Oops I mean swell lol
    jeffokada81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2013, 11:04 PM
    I have been having the same syptoms for several years now. A mosquito bite near finger joints and toe joints makes a swell and also it feels bruised and feels like a sprained joint. Last night I got bite on the top on my hand near my 4th nuckle near my pink and it now hurts ti bend it like a stubbed my finger in basketball. Also the same bite above my big toe and I could barely put preasure on my left foot and the pain was though the bottom of my foot. After a day in a half it went away completely.

I try to not have lights on in my room while the windows are open to not attract mosquitoes. I have to have costizone 10 near my bed and sometimes I have had to get an ice cube to bring down swelling and pain. Also bought a small can of "Off" from camping to deter the bugs at this time of year.
    anzyfab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 02:15 AM
    I just found this thread after doing a search on goggle " Mosquito bite pain horrible" because I cannot sleep after being bitten a couple of times by what I assume was a mosquito on my lower legs near my ankle. I can hardly stand to bear weight on that leg now and the pain has traveled up my leg into my thigh area and into my hip!I am literally thrashing about from the pain but have no health insurance so can do nothing about it. Can someone please tell me what can be done to ease this pain? I have tried ice packs it just makes the pain worse. Thank you for any help you can give me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain and swelling top of foot. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been suffering with swelling and pain on my upper left foot about a week now, I am required to wear steel toe boots for work every day, what could be wrong with me? I have also started to walk with a limp and it get's worse after I get home and walk without the boots.

Pain and Swelling [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had sex Thursday night and the next morning my vagina was sore. I just assumed that it was because we had gotten a little rough. But Friday night it started to swell and now this morning it is swollen even worse. The pain is still there, not quite as bad internally. Does anyone...

Vaginal Pain and Swelling [ 3 Answers ]

I plan on going to the OB/GYN first thing Monday morning. In the meantime I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone before. My boyfriend and I had sex Thursday night (protection was used). The next morning I felt sore and thought it was just due to things getting a little rough. However this...

Pain And Swelling In The Foot [ 1 Answers ]

My Girlfriend Woke Up The Other Day With Pain And Swelling In Her Left Foot At First We Just Thought She Had Possibly Sprained It Somehow But Just Now She Felt Like A Popping Sensation And Can't Put Any Pressure On It! Any Ideas? Cheers

View more questions Search