Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Allergies - again
    My GSD is having a terrible problem with allergies (again). I have changed her diet (now she's on venison and rice), which is making her even more miserable. She wants her kibble and dog food and chicken back!

The Vet has placed her back on steroids and I see her personality changing before my eyes - again.

I am once again looking into contact allergies (instead of food allergies) in my home. I have been looking at one of those bare floor steamers for cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, family room floors instead of the mop/bucket routine.

Anyone have any experience or recommendation? Has anyone tried one in place of the mop/bucket because of allergies?

I am really a nut about pesticides and the like around my dogs but something is irritating her and now I wonder if it's the baking soda/water combination I use on the floors - ?
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:34 AM

Are you sure you have cancelled out it being outdoor allergies. We have a Golden retriver here in the house (its not ours its owned by the other people that live here too) the vets said she needed a vegan diet (which they found out was NOT what any dog let alone her dog needed) she changed to wheat free no byproduct corn free dog food this month it is bison flavored LOL... but the brand is interchangeable with all of their flavors. It helped some but not much... we ripped up all the carpeting put down hardwood, steam cleaned everything and it still made no difference. Then we found a needle that you can get for allergies and they have been getting it for her ever since. Turns out she's allergic to grass outdoors but non the less the needle works for many many other allergies and you don't need to give steroids to her dog any more... I could find out the name of it if you would like. She's been getting the needles since she was a pup when spring and summer and fall come. They last between 2 and 4 months and cost anywheres betwee n100 and 300 dollars if I remember correctly but it helped immensley.. have the vets in your area mentioned this needle at all it may help
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 10:47 AM

I have a steamer Judy. Not so much because of allergies but because I hate pesticides.

I love the steamer. The only thing I don't like is that it only comes with two washable cloths, I'd prefer to have 4 so that I always have a clean one handy.

They're great, even get stains out of carpet.

I paid $100 for mine.

I back up this product 110%.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 07:19 PM

I'll get the name the next time I'm talking to them :D and I'll get back to you
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 12:18 PM

It took me a little while I know but I got the information from my boyfriends mother about the allergy needle she gets for the dog... she did testing first.. this is the info she gave me because she couldn't remember the exact name

Dog Allergy Injections (Hyposensitization)
    A common treatment recommended for environmental allergies in dogs is hyposensitization. This treatment consists of a series of injections made with the allergens to which each individual dog reacts. Blood or skin testing must be performed to find out which allergens the dog is sensitive to and which reactions are the most severe. The test results are used to create individualized injections for hyposensitization.

The cost of this treatment is in the hundreds of dollars, which includes blood or skin antigen testing. Treatment does not work for all dogs. Even when the injections do work, they usually take at least six months to have a noticeable effect. Owners must administer subcutaneous (under the skin) injections at home. This procedure is easy, but can be intimidating for owners who've never given an injection before or for dogs afraid of needles.

Despite these drawbacks, hyposensitization is the most effective long-term treatment for environmental allergies in dogs. Hyposensitization has fewer side effects than the long-term administration of drugs such as Prednisone. If your dog suffers from severe environmental allergies, injections are worth trying, provided you can afford them and understand they may not work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Allergies [ 1 Answers ]

My questions is I have a 17 month old pitbull who I think has allergies. Sometimes his little neck, ears, eyes, and under body gets red.Also runny nose. What shold I do for him other than allergy pills?? :(

Allergies? [ 3 Answers ]

I know when you have a piercing infection you have to keep the ring on and clean it more and press it with hot water , but what if its not a infection but it's a allergic reaction to the jewellery what are you supposed to do ?

Dog allergies [ 1 Answers ]

I have another lab besides the one in my last post. He eats everything. But he does seem to scratch his ears a lot even though there is no fluid. He has had ear infections in the past. He seems to scratch more when he is upstairs. Could this be due to diet? If so, can someone recommend a food...

Nut Allergies [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old nephew who is allergic to nuts. I do not know as to how severe it is, but my sister said the doctor told her to always keep an epi shot on hand just in case. I am also getting ready to build a house on a 14 acre parcel and there are a lot of walnut trees on the tract of land. ...

View more questions Search