Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vibhorg2006 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 08:54 PM
    loss of haemoglobin
    I am 63 years of age and suffering of loss of haemoglobin.blood transfusion done .After blood transfusion haemoglobin reaches to normal value but again decreases abnormally within weeks time.I am a diabetic patient.Blood sugar also increases.Right now suffering from jaundice also.Pls suggest if jaundice results in loss of haemoglobin.Doctors done a lot of tests still find no reasons for loss of haemoglobin continuously.Pls suggest for the loss of haemoglobin.After blood transfusion haemoglobin increases and reaches to 14 but in weeks time it drastically decreased to 6,then again to do blood transfusion.What is this anemia and concrete solution for it.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Dec 29, 2006, 03:52 PM
    The best advice for treatment is for you to remain conservative. Avoid additional transfusion unless your life is otherwise threatened.

Loss of haemoglobin is common after massive transfusion although, it is not used as the only indicator of Complication of donor blood. Your Physician will consider other factors and determine if you will need regular transfusions.

However, this subject is in constant debate. Many patients are able to tolerate lower level of hemoglobin than was previously believed.

Scientists are now believing Transfusing to normal haemoglobin levels will not improve the outcome of mortality and other clinically important outcomes i.e. organ failure. Other adverse effects of RBC transfusions, such as pulmonary oedema from volume overload, immune suppression resulting in increased risk of infection, and microcirculatory injury from poorly deformable RBCs must be investigated.

The main goal of theraphy is therefore, to make more efficient use of RBCs and save blood overall. This mode of treatment helps to prevent other major nonimmune transfusion reactions due to circulatory overload, massive transfusion, or transmmission of an infectious agent.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Gonzalo Alvarez, Paul C Hébert, and Sharyn Szick, 2001. Debate: Transfusing to normal haemoglobin levels will not improve outcome

2. Merck Manual Professional, 2006. Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia: Anemias Caused by Hemolysis: Merck Manual Professional

CHAPTER 4

(or 'transfusion trigger') may result in unnecessary administration of blood products, with their concommittant risks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss help [ 5 Answers ]

I want to lose weight and become a medium instead of a XL! but i don't want to go on diet pills can any 1 help? :o

Loss of haemoglobin [ 6 Answers ]

I am 63 years of age and suffering of loss of haemoglobin.blood transfusion done .After blood transfusion haemoglobin reaches to normal value but again decreases abnormally within weeks time.I am a diabetic patient.Blood sugar also increases.Right now suffering from jaundice also.Pls suggest if...

Weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

I am 14 years old and about 5'3 and I weight about 117 pounds but I am a bit overweight I was wondering what I can do to lose it mainly in the stomach and thighs. I was also wondering want calorie intake is normal for my age (for no gain and no lose)?

Hair loss [ 1 Answers ]

My daschund is 1yr old and has had some hair loss . My husband bought her for me last Easter. She had some hair loss on her head the vet said it was nothing to worry about but it is getting worse. Could it be her nerves?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search