Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    An unarmed society is unable to defend itself and is vulnerable to tyranny and dictatorship.
    We're unarmed here in Canada and do not have that fear at all. I wonder what the difference is.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 24, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    We're unarmed here in Canada and do not have that fear at all. I wonder what the difference is.
    The difference is your national history. YOU didn't overthrow a tyrannical ruler in order to create your nation. You didn't have to defeat the most powerful Army in the world (at that time) in order to gain your national and personal freedoms. You didn't see the effect of NOT being armed when we needed to act to overthrow Britain. We did.

We were British citizens who were brough under tyranical rule by our government, the Parliament of England and the King of England. We experienced what can happen if a government really does decide to put it's boot down on your head. That fact became the historical background under which our nation was formed. And world history both before and since then makes the point ever more clear to us. So the Founders put the 2nd Amendment into the Constitution specifically because they feared it happening again, only this time from a government based on THIS side of the pond.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    So the best you can come up with is some sort of fantasy about plotting Obama's assassination out of fear of him becoming a dictator. It would be so EASY for you if we really thought that way, wouldn't it? But we don't.

You can't beat us, and you can't marginalize us.
    Hello again, El:

Let me see. You named this thread WHAT?? Bwa, ha ha ha.

I don't have to marginalize you. You do a pretty good job of it yourself.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
    The persecution complex is strong with you my dear elliot.

Jul 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, El:

Lemme see. You named this thread WHAT???? Bwa, ha ha ha.

I don't have to marginalize you. You do a pretty good job of it yourself.

excon
    When I named the thread, excon, I was referring to those who said that BUSH was a dictator, and wondering why the people who made that complaint didn't find Obama's actions equally dictatorial or worse.

You'd know that if you had read the OP.

But as usual, you skip what you don't like and try to change the subject.

Elliot

Jul 24, 2009, 01:06 PM
    The persecution complex is strong with you my dear elliot.
    No. Historical FACT is strong with me. That's why you have no leg to stand on when you argue these issue with me.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Maybe it has something to do with the French heritage.

Jul 24, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the French heritage.
    No need to be insulting!!
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 24, 2009, 01:38 PM

Let me see.

It must have been 3 or 4 years ago when a news article appeard about the following: (No, at this late date I can't remember the source.)

However, a printing company in Canada turned down a job from some homosexuals bucause they didn't want to do that kind of work. Well, the results were that the gays took the printer to court. The printer had to pay a judgment to the gays and give a public apology.

That doesn't sound like freedom to me.

Maybe the reason NK feels comfortable in his position is that he has never attempted to exercise his God-given rights and run afoul of a bureaucrat-------YET!
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    ... God-given rights ...
    There is no god so these "rights" don't exist.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 02:02 PM
    It's your opinion that there is no God, but we can call it something besides "god-given" rights. Call it natural rights if it makes you feel better.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
    I don't know about Canada, but in OUR founding papers, God is recognized as being the giver of "inaleinable rights".

So there!!
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
    It's your opinion that there is no God, but we can call it something besides "god-given" rights. Call it natural rights if it makes you feel better.

I'm not willing to enter into an ultimately futile debate about the existence/non-existence of God, but I do think the issue of "natural rights" warrants closer investigation. What exactly do we mean by "natural rights"? Please bear in mind that I am not looking for examples, but rather a definition. To me it seems absurd to suggest that there are any rights that are "natural", as they are entirely synthetic in their conception. When observing nature I see no rights whatsoever, in fact the only rule seems to be "there are no rules". It is force that rules the day in nature, not respect for "rights".

This brings me to my next query. What exactly is it that makes ANY right meaningful? Here in Australia I enjoy certain rights, such as property, privacy, etc. These rights serve me very well. They protect me, and enable me to live in a certain amount of peace. However if I were living in, let's say Sierra Leone, I am highly dubious as to whether these rights would have any meaning at all. Is this because I would not have them in that country? Or simply that they would be no reason for others to respect them? Is there a meaningful difference?

These questions are rhetorical for the most part I must admit, I do have my own answers for them. However I would be intersted in hearing other opinions on the subject, which I feel shows great potential for reasoned a debate/disscussion.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 04:22 PM
    It is a very complex discussion but I'll give a very simple answer. You may want to check out the writings of philosopher John Locke ,who identified universal natural rights not subject to surrender in the social contract or the sovereign .

Included among these were "life, liberty, and estate (property)" . It would not matter where on earth you live .The social contract could not deny the individual these rights and the individual has a right to defend them against tyranny.

These natual rights formed the basis for the English Bill of Rights,the American Declaration of Independence ,the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen ,and the first 10 amendments to the Constitution of the United States. The founding fathers of the United States were diverse in religious denominations, but all had a distinct grounding in a universal power of goodness in the cosmos from which mankind was endowed with inalienable rights.

In the end you are correct in saying that any right is dependent on your ability to keep them. What the enlightenment philosophers were saying is that the 'Prince' had no inherent right to deny you your natual rights.All laws are to be judged as to their adherence to natural rights ,and any law that violates natural law is no law at all.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Boo? Obama is a Dictatorial President?
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 24, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    And if YOU believe that there are 40 million US citizens without health care I have a bridge for sale you might be interested in!
    When did this world change from believing that people work for what they earn to people believing that someone else should give them everything for free?
    No one is turned away without treatment. There are ways to set up payment plans with hospitals. I know from working in several.[ They pay also by being degraded for having to do such a thing but that doesn't hurt your credit]. If a kid has cancer and needs treatment, it can be found. There are many foundations, start asking and get the info if it is a concern you. It is hard and stressful. Don't give up because of what an insurance company says.

The same is true with middleage people. A way can be found to take care of it. You might have to change your standard of living but you can do that in order to live or help a loved one to live. I changed my standard of living in order to afford more insurance and avoid that hassle. My choice. Your choice might be different. At least we have a choice. So far.

When did this world change from believing that people work for what they earn to people believing that someone else should give them everything for free?[/QUOTE]

I am afraid there are more people who believe that than not. They are willing to give up a perfectly good style of government that other countries admire enough to copy at least large parts of it, in exchange for handouts from the richer people who only do it because they are forced to by the government.
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2009, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It is a very complex discussion but I'll give a very simple answer. You may want to check out the writings of philosopher John Locke ,who identified universal natural rights not subject to surrender in the social contract or the sovereign .

Included among these were "life, liberty, and estate (property)" . It would not matter where on earth you live .The social contract could not deny the individual these rights and the individual has a right to defend them against tyranny.

These natual rights formed the basis for the English Bill of Rights,the American Declaration of Independence ,the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen ,and the first 10 amendments to the Constitution of the United States.

In the end you are correct in saying that any right is dependent on your ability to keep them. What the enlightenment philosophers were saying is that the 'Prince' had no inherent right to deny you your natual rights.
    Thanks for replying tomder55. I have read portions of Locke's 2nd treatise, he was certainly a great mind, and there is no denying the influence he had on the founding documents of the U.S.A. I do however have a few problems with his philosophy, not least of which the rather dubious justification given for the acquisition of property, which was cited in the course of many a "land grab" worldwide. Certainly I would agree that an individual or group may be justified in rebelling in certain circumstances, but this is not the same thing as having a right to do so. Much in the same way that I feel a person may have justification for an act of theft in extreme situations, yet they have no right to commit such an act.

It seems to me that the only reason I have any rights at all, is because they are guaranteed by the government, the "soveriegn" if you will. In this sense I see ALL rights as being "civil rights", rather than "natural", I am very much more in the Hobbes camp if you like (however I have my problems with him as well). This may seem as being neither here nor there, and of little consequence either way. After all, it doesn't matter from what source these rights are derived, the fact is we have them, and that's all that matters isn't it? For myself, I think it is significant if we are to consider what purpose these rights are to serve.

If we are to view them as "natural" or "God-given", then we have no place from which to to alter or remove these rights, irrespective of whether they have any use at all. Even if such rights had become detrimental to the well being and freedom of a society, we would have to live with them anyway. If we are to view them as completely synthetic, they may be altered to serve the necessities of a "free" society in any particular context. Of course there are those rights of which cannot I conceive being absent in ANY free society, such as property, but this does not make them "natural" in any sense of the word.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Yes Hobbes argued that rights are abstractions.
    In the case of the US rebellion the sovereign proclaimed a right to tax the colonist property(and other "intollerable acts" ) and they in turn proclaimed the social contract broken because of the issue of representation. The social contract as defined by Rousseau was only valid if it was validified by the consent of the governed .

"Thus, the question of whether justice can be achieved in society may not depend on whether individuals can be forced to comply with civil authority but on whether individuals and civil authority can act in harmony with, and fulfill their moral obligations toward, each other. Moreover, there may be a moral obligation to comply with civil authority only if that authority is legitimate (i.e. if that authority is based on a fair and just agreement among the members of society).

Natural rights defined a boundary that the sovereign could not cross .

As I mentioned ;in the end it mattered not that they believed it ,as much as the fact that they took steps to defend their rights against the sovereign. So there is certainly an element of the Darwinian nature your described . But natural rights were postulated with the idea of certain moral restraints beyond the law of the jungle.(I will not go into the debate over whether these are derived from the construct of the human mind or 'God given')

Jul 27, 2009, 06:43 AM
    Oh, good. Since there is no such thing as a god-given right, I can punch you in the nose as often as I want, since you have no god-given rights to be protected from my actions.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Sure, go ahead. See you in court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Presidential pardon [ 2 Answers ]

When a person is convicted to a term of imprisonment with hard labour and on the course of serving his term the fellow is given a presidential pardon while the case still hang on him. Does a new government own the privilege to reign the same person to court on the same charges.

Presidential elections [ 7 Answers ]

If a presidential nominee dies two days before the elections, what happens?

Presidential Election [ 11 Answers ]

Who are you for, I personally are for Barrack obama AND of COURSE who else should win, but really those 2 are biggest and it isn't even like I live there , I'm in ireland

Presidential history [ 2 Answers ]

What happened in Bufalo New York on September 6th 1901?

View more questions Search