Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Troubledinlife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 02:09 AM
    PR for a dependent
    Please somebody help me.. I am married and I don't want to live with my husband, I am being mentally harassed. I am currently on dependent work permit and I was told that if I apply for a divorce I have to go back to my country.

My husband is on a work permit and will be getting his PR next year and being a dependent I will qualify my PR. Is it possible to get a divorce followed to that? Do I still have to go back to my country? I am in a deep mess, please advice.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 3, 2009, 02:40 PM

If you divorce prior to PR approval, you will not get PR. If you divorce after PR approval, you are a PR.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Also, I don't know about your state, but my state recognizes something called a "divorce from bed and board." In such an arrangement, you stay married on paper (so you can't remarry unless you obtain a full divorce at some future date) but all of the marital assets and property are divided up and the issues of alimony/spousal support are addressed, just the same as if you were getting an actual divorce. If there are children involved then likewise the issues of child support and custody are addressed, just as with a full divorce. This was originally instituted to appease Roman Catholics whose doctrine, strictly speaking, prohibits divorce. Today it is generally done for the sake of continuing health coverage and such. But I think it could apply in your situation also so you wouldn't lose your PR status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent visa [ 1 Answers ]

What happen to a dependent visa holder when his spouse who is theprincipal dies?can he stay in the country(uk) till his visa expires

See if I was claimed as a dependent [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know if I was claimed as a dependent on someone's taxes to see if I can get my tax rebate stimulius check.

Dependent Tax Fraud [ 13 Answers ]

Is it considered tax fraid if the non-custodial parent, who has never had custody or visitation of the child, claims the child on his taxes, and the custodial parent already does?

Filing for H4 now H3 dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B holder and have been filing taxes individually. I got married on Dec. 30, 2006 and my husband and I returned to the US on January 16, 2007, with him on H4. Then in October, his status changed to H3 visa holder. Can I file jointly with him? Do H3 holders pay taxes as he works part...

View more questions Search