Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adh81 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 01:41 PM
    What's my next step?
    :confused: I am starting my own commercial and resident cleaning business. I have ten yrs experience in this business as well as sales and marketing experience. I have my licence to practice but do not know what step to take from here, should I incorporate next or just start bidding?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:43 PM

How big is your business?
    Do you do a lot of business?
    How many employees do you have?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 03:11 PM

Definitely incorporate, no question there.

You have this experience in the cleaning business, may I ask in what capacity? Owning a company, managing a company, etc.

Can you please elaborate on the exact level of experience you have relative to experience.

These questions and NOhelp4U's questions will help us in garnering a starting point adh81.

Stringer

Jul 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
    I currently work at a dialysis center branched off from the hospital. I have cleaned residents and commercial, college campus apartments, and dr offices through the past 10 yrs. I enjoy this work. Alone with this I have worked in sales and promotions as well a managed a hotel. In 2007 I received my license and here I am I wasn't sure where to go and I came across this sight. I have just decided to go out on my own so currently its just my family working. I also work a dr office too, but like I said this is with another company. :o
    Business Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adh81 View Post
    I currently work at a dialysis center branched off from the hospital. I have cleaned residents and commercial, college campus apartments, and dr offices through the past 10 yrs. I enjoy this work. Alone with this I have worked in sales and promotions as well a managed a hotel. In 2007 I recieved my license and here i am i wasnt sure where to go and i came across this sight. I have just decided to go out on my own so currently its just my family working. I also work a dr office too, but like i said this is with another company. :o
    I would seem that you have the experience to do the actual work and the management experience to organize.

To answer your original question adh81 I would definitely incorporate and get liability insurance right away. And I would start by seeking out smaller to mid sized accounts; 2,000 to 4,000 square foot buildings.

Do you know how to price out a job?

Will you be the sole owner of the company? Then will your family be employees?

Are you intending on being a full service company? In other words, will you clean carpets, strip hard floors, do windows, etc?

Do you have equipment?

Stringer

Jul 3, 2009, 08:58 PM

The place I work at now is approximatly 5000 sq ft.
    Pricing a job, well I wasn't sure at first but I took note on some of your suggestions about pricing by sq ft and about what to charge per sq ft. I typed up my first bid today I feel pretty confident after following your advice.
    Yes I am sole owner and after the business grows a little I will hire emoplyees, I am registered in college for business management and am looking forward to that, so when the work gets too much to handle then I will hire others.
    I intend to grow into a full service company, yes. I have the basic equipment required to do basic cleaning and intend to rent equip until I purchase my own or sub contract it out. Is that a bad idea?
    Thank you so much for helping me out, I don't think I would Have been brave enough to make my first bid. I just don't want to get in over my head to deep to soon, I want to be smart and wise about my decisions
    Business Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 10:14 PM

Good luck to you.

Renting equipment in the beginning for floor projects is probably the way to go.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Can someone explain step by step how to make x the subject in an exponential equation [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain step by step how to make x the subject in an exponential equation? I know the general form is y = ae^kx So the just say I need to find out at what time would the experiment be at its half life which is 50, so I sub 50 into the following equation: y = 92.776e^(-0.701t)...

What's the first step for my Hubby to adopt my son? [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 11 years old. I have been married to my husband since Nico (my son) was two weeks old. We live in Austin, TX. Nico's father has never been around and is currently in jail. We want Nico to have our last name. What is the first step in making this happen?

What's the first step in getting married at a courthouse? [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are wanting to get married now and little bit down the road we want to have a bigger wedding we can afford to have!

View more questions Search