Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Do I have a case with the Ontario Slander/Libel Act
    58 People at my work received a fictitious email that detailed a conversation that never happened between a colleague and myself. The email was sent from gmail and did not identify the sender.

Is there any chance I can get a court order to trace who sent this email? Technically it's possible if Google and the persons internet provider is given a court order / warrant, whatever to do so.

The issue at this point is, I work with everyone and some very negative things were made up that I supposedly said. This has within 1 day affected my ability to work with my internal clients. My co worker that was also named in this email has suffered physical effects of this (physically sick, emotional stress)

Opinions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:38 PM

In the US you have to suffer monetary damage so I am not sure you can sue but you should be able to take this somewhere that would deal with it appropriately if you can't sue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:24 AM

In NY IF you are able to get the Police interested they will get the warrant which enables you to get the user name on the account.

In some cases an Attorney can file a "John Doe" lawsuit and get a warrant to obtain the information.

Is your monetary loss (not that of your co-worker) sufficient for this to make sense?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for Slander, Libel and Defamation [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued for Slander, Libel and Defamation. I got a summons can't afford an attorney and I have 20 days to respnd to it. I am not sure what I am suppose to respond. Everything I said was the truth and I never signed a general release (it's the company where I got my boobs done at.) Please...

Slander / libel or character defamation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question in regards to slander and libel. I work for in a office that can be political. My finacee happens to be a member of the executive board. My name and character have been terribly tossed around on the internet, in mailings, etc. my fiancé is in an elected position and I believe...

Slander , Libel and defamation of Character [ 2 Answers ]

How hard is it to prove that someone has defamed your character and is it something worth pursuing? They used the word allegedly in the newspaper, but the story was completely fabricated and untrue. Is it worth pursuing since people believed the story was true. Thank you

Slander & libel what can I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a restaurant that's been doing well the first 2 years, however I may have rubbed another preexisting restaurant that cater to the same specialties the wrong way. There are rumors that I'm using artificial creamers or dairies to thicken my broths. They are also saying that the only way our...

View more questions Search