Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 2, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Workplace Friend - how to handle?
    I work with a woman I consider my friend. We meet occasionally outside of work and she is a good person.

However, she does have a temper and its becoming harder and harder to balance work with the added drama.

My friend has trouble with a very immature supervisor. She has daily complaints that are serious (affect business) and others that are silly, like rude comments being made in her direction.

I've counseled her to speak with our Manager regarding the issues that affect the business. (I report directly to the manager, as my friend's supervisor does)
    This has been successful, resulting in punishment of the offender, while my friend was never revealed as the person who told.

Its now spiraling out of control during our work day. My friend emails me dozens of times a day (even on her day off while I'm at work) and wants me to make time for her (daily) to talk about her work issues. She's also gotten quiet liberal with going to the manager over each situation that bothers her. So far, our manager has encouraged her to be open, so my friend continues to be just that. But once she leaves the office, she wants me to verify if what she said was okay... she second guesses herself, etc. She even tried getting ME to go into our Manager's office to tell her, "Forget what Ellen said earlier." (Ellen said something to the manager earlier, she now regrets. She's already been to her twice today to complain about issues) Of course, I didn't do that for her.

I need to step back from the situation, while retaining our friendship. Ellen is not a bad person, but she's insecure and reactionary. I'm always having to calm her down and/or reassure her. I'm starting to suspect she's blaming me for "talking her into" speaking with management and her husband is not happy either.

Any tips on how to handle this? I've lost my temper a few times with her and it only caused her to pout and it starts up again the next day.

Thanks for reading this marathon post.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 12:29 PM

Hm. I have a feeling that if you step back from this situation she'll see that as the end of the friendship. Since you mentioned she even emails you on her days off and is constantly coming to you, I have to wonder if she realizes that there's lines between a friendship and a business relationship. Maybe you can sit down with her and set some boundaries and guidelines for her. Maybe something along the lines of keeping work stuff at work (at least you can still hope to have fun together outside of work and hopefully on her days off she'll enjoy the day off rather than worry about work.) and help her determine when it's appropriate to talk to the manager (numerous times throughout the day shouldn't be necessary if she's taking the time to think about her complaints, think them through, and determine if it's something she really needs management to get involved in.) just be careful with how you word things with her. I suspect she could easily take it the wrong way if you don't.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 12:29 PM

1. Try telling her that it must be okay because the manager hasn't blamed her for any of this. Maybe telling the manager isn't worth it anyway because it doesn't look like the manager is doing a very good job dealing with the problems the superviser is causing anyway.

2. Tell her you have been listening to her because you know she needs somebody to vent to but your policy is to keep work and your life away from work separate. You really can't deal with work talk outside of work but she is free to still spend time with you and talk about anything else non work related.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 2, 2009, 12:48 PM

Thank you, NOhelp4u. :)

My major issue is that she's taking my time AT work to talk about these things. Its distracting me from my job (and hers).

Today, for instance, she emailed me 32 times (before I lost count) and asked me to "go for a walk" so she could calm down twice. When I refused, she came into my office and tried to spill her guts until my office mate came back from the bathroom.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:12 PM

You need to tell her that you don't want to jeopordize your job by having these 'breaks'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

I don't know how to handle with my best friend (who seems to be in love with me) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a 15 year old girl living in sweden,here is myproblem a few months ago Imoved from africa to sweden Iwas in africa for 6yrs in those 6yrs I made an amazing friend,he is a guy actually and we have been talking to each other constantly ever since I moved,a few days ago we were talking about...

Should you encourage your friend to get out of a bad marriage or let her handle it? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who is in a bad marriage. I have talked to her about what I think since she was asking me for advice. I feel that in some way, I overstepped my boundary. You don't want to make your friend angry at you by her thinking you are trying to split them up. What should you do?

Re-install Moen single handle shower handle [ 12 Answers ]

My Moen shower handle came off. I see there is a set screw at the bottom of it. The handle attaches to a plastic piece; however, you have to pull out the plastic piece from the wall to get the handle to fit over the plastic and to give the set screw something to set into. How do I pull out...

Replacing single handle bathtub handle with 2 handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am redoing the tile in my bathroom and want to change my single handle hot/cold fixture with a 2 handle fixture... Can I do this myself or do I need a plumber?. My house was built in the 1960's and the faucet seem original.. I do have access from the back and will have access in front once...

View more questions Search