Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 2, 2009, 10:06 AM
    I've got a lot of convincing to do! - rabbit
    Well as most of you know I am 16 and still live with my parents. Anyway I've recently wanted a new addition to my family, a rabbit.

When I was younger we had a few rabbits but I was to young to take on the responsibility of them and therefore never really got to enjoy them. My parents are totally against me getting a rabbit. They claim I have enough pets already. I own my dog, 2 cats, 2 hamsters and 2 goldfish. But I would really love to get a rabbit.

My parents know I am responsible and have seen first hand that I take good care of my pets. So how can I convince them that I can easily care for this rabbit.

How can I explain to them how much I want one, and get them to see that like my other pets they won't have to lift a finger!:confused:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 10:15 AM

Actions speak louder than words, and you've shown a good track record of being responsible. Make them dinner one night and ask permission.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 2, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Well, I'm just a kid but as you probably know kids usually beg their parents until they say yes. I know that for some parents this doesn't always work so if you're giving this a shot good luck!:):):)
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 2, 2009, 12:23 PM

Could it be a money issue? I know for me that was the problem with telling my children no. A vets visit can get very expensive. Ask your parents the reason why they are saying no. Some times if you come to a parent with a mature manner and not bugging, they will be willing to listen, but remember to really listen to what they have to say also. My children were very responsible, and took care of the vet bills themselves. They only asked for my help a few times and always paid me back so that the household bills got paid. Hope this helps you.

Jul 2, 2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks AuntSwee. I don't think its financial. My parents just keep saying I have enough pets already.

I'm not one to beg or pestor. I just come to them with a tough argument. I do research about what the animal would need and present them with the pro's and con's of getting the animal. But this time my mom won't even let me explain myself.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 12:45 PM

Why not get a part time job to help pay for the vet visits, food, a cage and purchasing the rabbit?

As a parent reading how many animals you have I would say no too. If my daughter got a job to pay for it I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Just a thought.

Sarah

Jul 2, 2009, 12:53 PM

Its not the financial though. My mom just told me'' We had rabbits before and we don't want anymore.''

I told her this wasn't a valid reason... If she would tell me a reason why not and help me understand why not then OK. But If she just says no and says were the parents we decide. Then that just makes me angry.

Don't I at least deserve a valid reason?
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:14 PM

Why don't you just sit her down and talk to her [without attitude].

My guess is that you don't clean up 100% of the time, no worries it happens, but when it does your mom ends up cleaning up after those furry critters and she doesn't even want to think about cleaning up after another.

It may not be "financial" but having the initiative to pay for it would be a good way to "convince" your parents.

:) Good luck.

Sarah

Jul 2, 2009, 01:46 PM

I know how many kids my age are... And I'm not like that. My mom quit working 6 years ago because she just couldn't work any more. She has what the doctors believe is MS.

She gets weak quite a bit and I do everything I can to help her out.

So I clean up probably 250% of the time. I not only clean up my mess but everyone else's too.

Today for example she went to town and I cleaned the whole house. I swept, and did all the dishes so the house was immaculate for when she came home. The cleaning is often left on me. My 2 older brothers are moved out but they come here daily and leave a mess and I'm always the one to clean it.

So her decision has nothing to do with me not cleaning. I brush my dog daily and sweep daily. I brush and take care of my cats and fish. And clean my hamster cage at least twice a week.

I can honestly say the pets are my responsibility and my parents don't lift a finger.

I tried to explain that I would pay fr them. But she wouldn't even let me explain myself. And I was not using attitude while talking to her.

Jul 2, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    I know how many kids my age are... And I'm not like that. My mom quit working 6 years ago because she just couldn't work any more. She has what the doctors believe is MS.

She gets weak quite a bit and I do everything I can to help her out.

So I clean up probably 250% of the time. I not only clean up my mess but everyone elses too.

Today for example she went to town and I cleaned the whole house. I swept, and did all the dishes so the house was immaculate for when she came home. The cleaning is often left on me. My 2 older brothers are moved out but they come here daily and leave a mess and I'm always the one to clean it.

So her decision has nothing to do with me not cleaning. I brush my dog daily and sweep daily. I brush and take care of my cats and fish. And clean my hamster cage at least twice a week.

I can honestly say the pets are my responsibility and my parents don't lift a finger.

I tried to explain that I would pay fr them. But she wouldn't even let me explain myself. And I was not using attitude while talking to her.
    Well try arranging a time where you and your mom can talk and ask your mom to at least let you explain.

Jul 2, 2009, 02:15 PM

You know I got an idea. Since I find it so hard talking to my mom especially when she cuts me off.

I think I'll write her a letter. That way I can fully explain myself.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 02:17 PM

Why not drop it for a bit?

Give it a week.

Do the letter and read it to your mom.

The last thing you want to do is pester her and have her final verdict be a no with the classic "because I said so" .

Sarah

Jul 2, 2009, 02:32 PM
    You know I got an idea. Since I find it so hard talkin to my mom especially when she cuts me off.

I think I'll write her a letter. That way I can fully explain myself.
    That's a great idea
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jul 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
    But this time my mom won't even let me explain myself.
    Ask her why she won't have a discussion with you about this. It could be that she has bad memories of the earlier times with rabbits. Ask her what went wrong then, and what you can do to help ensure it won't go wrong like that this time. For instance, it may be that when she hears "rabbits" she thinks of the smell when she had to clean their cages. So you need to discuss how you would handle your rabbit's needs in a way that she never even *smells* a rabbit cage.

One good argument you have going for you is "I have so many pets and am so busy taking good care of them and this keeps me out of trouble that other kids my age sometimes get into". Sometimes parents forget how good kids are not getting into trouble like other kids, and how working with the kid to keep the kid involved in good activities is always better than man of the alternatives.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 07:27 PM

Have everything on hand Rex, all the facts.

Know the prices, the care needed, everything.

Read the sticky on the top of this forum on rabbit care, it's really good (I wrote it ;)).

Perhaps check out your local shelter, find a rabbit you love, show your mom. Shelter rabbits are not only cheaper in the long run (purchase price and the fact that they're usually spayed or neutered before being adopted out), but then you're also saving a life.

Also, explain that an altered rabbit is less aggressive and doesn't smell as bad as an unaltered rabbit.

Here are some of the bunnies in my shelter right now.

Attachment 21567

Attachment 21568

Attachment 21569

Attachment 21570

Attachment 21571

Everybody say Aw. :)

Jul 4, 2009, 04:07 AM

I don't have a shelter around with rabbits. In my shelter there are only cats.

I wrote my mom a letter and in it I wrote the truth she agreed to let me get a rabbit I'm so excited now if I can only find a rabbit and a cage.

Jul 4, 2009, 04:54 AM

I found a pretty big cage on kijiji. Here's a link:

large cage
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 05:24 AM

That looks like a good cage Rex, definitely big enough for a bunny.

Those ones are really easy to clean too!
    If you get that one just make sure you scrub scrub scrub with a really good cleaner before you put the bunny in.

Congrats :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 05:43 AM

There's sooome bunnies at the Halifax HS
    other
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    There's sooome bunnies at the Halifax HS
    other
    I'd take Oreo and Cinamon in a heartbeat.

My partner would take Rosco the ferret :rolleyes:
    I've told him once, I've told him a thousand times, no bloody ferrets!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a lot of discharge and I also sweat a lot down there and there's a bad body odo [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lot of discharge and I also sweat a lot down there and there's a bad body odor smell from it and I don't know if something is wrong and what to do about it?

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Sis needs convincing to go to see dr [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for my sister. She is 40 years old. She does have seizures that are under control. No meds , but has had some stomach/abdominal problems. She had bunch of gallstones 10 year ago. Gallbladder was removed. Has been told she had fibrocystic cystics. Has been told she has to see a...

Convincing her to meet me now [ 3 Answers ]

I have been chatting on the net and on the phone to this woman I met on a dating site a few months ago,and she was about to meet me in person but became very ill,and found out she he's cancer,and she is currently receiving chemotherapy now,but she has decided she doesn't want to meet me now in case...

View more questions Search