Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    So far he just lays against the teddy bear. But we have a plush carrot in there and he throws it around with his paws. The cage is like
    4feetx2feet. Which I love because normally cages are really small. And the rabits don't have very much room to hop around.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I go into pet stores and am shocked at what they try and pass off as rabbit cages... I wouldn't kep a mouse in most of them!

Just had ours out for a bit of cuddle time, Rikku sits in Vaughns lap all nice and calm. Lulu sits in my lap and digs at my pants and bites me! Little horror!
    Dora is s lost cause, she hates cuddles of any sort, she loves a scratch when she's on the ground though.

Will be interesting to see what personality your bun has, evil, quiet, lazy or curious.

What did you call him?
    You may have said but I missed it.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 8, 2009, 06:01 AM

His name is Blaze. I just had him out playing with him. He doesn't even wander around our house he stays in my lap. And this morning he started a new thing. He now chews on my pants. So I grabbed his edible carrot, thinking he just wanted to chew. I showed him the carrot he grabbed it out of my hands with his teeth and threw it to the floor. Ha it was hilarious.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:07 AM

Haha, yep, he's going to be a naughty one! Good luck!

Yep, I do remember seeing that name, sorry!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 07:23 AM

Our Thumper is the clothing destroyer. You simply do not pick him up unless you don't mind having holes in your clothes afterwards.

He does it so quietly too. He'll sit on your lap and just nibble. You don't notice until you see all the material on the floor and gaping holes in your pants and shirt.

We have a towel that we use for him when he sits on our lap. You see, he is my cuddle bunny. He'll sit on my lap to watch TV with me, nibbling away, then falling asleep as I'm petting him. He's not much of an explorer or hopper.

Blaze. I like it. :)

He really is a sweetheart. How old is he again? Did you say 8 weeks?

Jul 8, 2009, 08:39 AM

He's probably about 9 weeks now... But he looks to be older. The breeder said the mother was 1 pound and the father 2pounds.

But Blaze seems to be heavier then 1 pound now.

Jul 8, 2009, 03:43 PM

Sorry for buggin you guys again but I need some help.

My rabbit loves the litter box, but maybe a little too much. He stays in there almost 24/7. He lays in there and not on the shavings. And he doesn't seem to be using it much anymore.

I've had someone tell me that the reason he is using the bathroom in the shavings and not in the litter box is because he is confused, at where to go. They also said I should take ou the sahvings and instead of using shavings for bedding use an old blanket...

Does this make sense... How can I help Blaze to understand his litter box is for using the bathroom, and not for laying in.
    Pets Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Sorry for buggin you guys again but I need some help.

My rabbit loves the litter box, but maybe a little too much. He stays in there almost 24/7. He lays in there and not on the shavings. And he doesn't seem to be using it much anymore.

I've had someone tell me that the reason he is using the bathroom in the shavings and not in the litter box is because he is confused, at where to go. They also said I should take ou the sahvings and instead of using shavings for bedding use an old blanket...

Does this make sense... How can I help Blaze to understand his litter box is for using the bathroom, and not for laying in.
    Get him a hidey hole place to lay in.

Rabbits need separate spots for separate things. Since there's only the litter box he's decided to use this as his bed and the shavings for his potty.

Get him a bed, he'll probably start using the litter box again for it's intended purpose.

Put some of his poo in the litter box, that will help him understand what you want him to do.

A bunny bed can be a small dog bed, a folded blanket and up.

Don't get rid of the shavings though. They're important. :)

Jul 9, 2009, 04:00 AM

So can I put the bed right on top of the shavings??

Thanks for the advice.

Last night was the first night he stayed in my room. Monday and Tuesday night he stayed in our spare room. We weren't really sure how the dog would react to him during the night. But everything went fine. Rex laid on his bed all night and never even seemed to notice the bunny.
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 08:44 AM

Yup, right on top of the shavings.

I'd go with something like this;

Attachment 21796

Or cut out a box put a towel at the base and voilą, a little rabbit hideaway. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 09:17 AM

Mine absolutely love cardboard boxes!
    The babies nibble the edges and Dora like scratching the inside out.
    Bed that doubles as a toy :D

Jul 11, 2009, 07:58 AM

I found the perfect thing for Blaze to sleep in. A cat condo, that I had bought at Walmart for my cats but they didn't like it.

Blaze loves it, he loves hiding in it and sleeping on top of it.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/p...ion/241254.jpg
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 11, 2009, 09:23 AM
    I found the perfect thing for Blaze to sleep in. A cat condo, that I had bought at Walmart for my cats but they didn't like it.

Blaze loves it, he loves hiding in it and sleeping on top of it.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/p...ion/241254.jpg
    It's great that you found something for him to sleep in.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 09:55 AM

That's awesome Rex, glad she likes it and you didn't have to spend any money :D
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 10:46 AM

That's a great idea rex. I love it.

Way to go! :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 10:54 AM

As and aside, make sure your bunny is getting plenty of timothy hay. It aids in digestion, it's very necessary for pet rabbits to have in their diet.

If you want to make it fun, put the timothy hay in a toilet paper roll (minus the toilet paper) and watch him have a blast getting it out. Toilet paper rolls aren't harmful at all, so he can nibble on it.

Phone books are great too. Shelters that house rabbits are always asking for old phone books. It's a great stress reliever. We give our bunnies a few pages to nibble on every week, they love it. Again, it's not harmful.

Limit carrots. I know that everyone associates bunnies with carrots, and yes, carrots are good for them, but too much and they'll get the runs. My rule is 1 large carrot every third day. Lettuce, as much as you want. I also pick the dandelions for my bunnies, flower and leaves (only when the flower is yellow, not when it's gone to seed).

The pellets you buy should never be the main food of your bunny. Variety is important. They have such different digestive systems. So different in fact that they cannot vomit.

I also put vitamin drops in their water. It's cheap, I bought it at walmart, but it aids in digestion and helps with hair balls. Because rabbits can't vomit, hair balls can be a problem. Cat meds for hair balls don't work, because those meds are meant to bring the hair ball up, and like I said, rabbits can't vomit.

Diet is the most important thing. :)

Our local humane society is having a free "How to care for a bunny" seminar this month. I'm thinking of going, just to see if I can learn anything new. It depends on hubby's work schedule, as I don't want to bring my kids. If I go I'll let you all know what I found out. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 11:02 AM

Had to spread the rep Alty :(

But great advice as usual, got a couple of hi-jack questions :)

I was told it's not OK to give rabbits lettuce :confused: Dora loves it but I stopped after I heard that, does that mean she can have some again?

Also, the vitamin drops in the water, I use a vitamin block that attaches to the wire, should I switch to the drops?

And finally... mine love dandelions too :D
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Had to spred the rep Alty :(

But great advice as usual, got a couple of hi-jack questions :)

I was told it's not ok to give rabbits lettuce :confused: Dora loves it but I stopped after I heard that, does that mean she can have some again?

Also, the vitamin drops in the water, I use a vitamin block that attaches to the wire, should I switch to the drops?

And finally.... mine love dandelions too :D
    Lettuce is great. Just make sure to wash it well before giving it to her, as most places use pesticides. Unless you grow it yourself, then it's okay.

The humane society here, there's a farmer that comes in once a week to bring lettuce for all the bunnies in the shelter. He was there when we adopted Kilala, and we got to talking.

He has 20 bunnies, and volunteers at the shelter and brings lettuce. The lettuce is very good for them. So yes, give Dora lettuce. :)

Vitamin block is great, but my bunnies won't touch it. If yours do, then stick to that because it's also good for their teeth.

Dandelions are great! A free way to give your bunnies nutrition.

If you stick to mother nature, know what bunnies eat in the wild, give them that, and the pellets, and toys and hop around time, well, happy bunnies. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 12:02 AM

Thanks Alty!
    I owe you a big fat greenie ;)
    hamsterlover294 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 10:33 AM
    My parents are totally against me getting a rabbit. They claim i have enough pets already. I own my dog, 2 cats, 2 hamsters and 2 goldfish. But I would really love to get a rabbit.
    I feel the same way, I really want a ferret for my birthday and my parent's tell me I have too many animals. I have a dog, a cat, 7 hamsters, 2 geckos, a toad, 5 tadpoles, and lots of goldfish. :rolleyes:
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterlover294 View Post
    I feel the same way, I really want a ferret for my birthday and my parent's tell me I have too many animals. I have a dog, a cat, 7 hamsters, 2 geckos, a toad, 5 tadpoles, and lots of goldfish. :rolleyes:
    You have a LOT of pets don't you, but I don't blame you pets are great!:)

Joy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a lot of discharge and I also sweat a lot down there and there's a bad body odo [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lot of discharge and I also sweat a lot down there and there's a bad body odor smell from it and I don't know if something is wrong and what to do about it?

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

Sis needs convincing to go to see dr [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for my sister. She is 40 years old. She does have seizures that are under control. No meds , but has had some stomach/abdominal problems. She had bunch of gallstones 10 year ago. Gallbladder was removed. Has been told she had fibrocystic cystics. Has been told she has to see a...

Convincing her to meet me now [ 3 Answers ]

I have been chatting on the net and on the phone to this woman I met on a dating site a few months ago,and she was about to meet me in person but became very ill,and found out she he's cancer,and she is currently receiving chemotherapy now,but she has decided she doesn't want to meet me now in case...

View more questions Search