Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oakridge79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Flagstone Patio Installation is Perplexing
    Hey all,

I have been doing a lot of research on creating a flagstone patio on a dry bed. My problem right now is that my yard is completely enclosed, and I cannot remove the fence. With this in mind, what would be the best way to move the 1.5 ton of crushed rock and 0.5 ton of coarse sand from my garage to the site. The site is about 80 feet from my garage. My garage backs up to the rear of my yard and provides access only through a regular size (32" wide?) door. Someone suggested using 5 gallon buckets, but that seems like a lot of back and forth. If all else fails, could I simply lay the flagstone on 1" of sand and call it a day? :confused:

Thanks
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jul 1, 2009, 09:49 PM

As you are aware, flagstone is a bit brittle. If the traffic on the patio is light, then use sand. Down side is weeds will grow more apt to grow using sand. As for the moving of the rock. Is there a way for someone to stand on one side of the fence and hand over multiple buckets to you on the other side? Sounds like work any way you go.

Jul 2, 2009, 06:26 AM
    dawgsnkats,

I have a small yard in the city, and anticipate very light traffic (e.g. two people sitting on it for the occasional backyard outing, letting the dog in/out, a few friends over). I don't plan on putting anything more than a small table on it. I suppose I could live with the weeds (put some geotextile down to slow them down), but I was more concerned about drainage and upheaval from the ground freezing. As far as moving buckets over the fence, that will be impossible. I don't know how many buckets the job would take, but the fence is at least 6 foot tall and solid wood. :(

It also turns out the entry to the yard is about 29.5". I don't think there is a wheelbarrow out there that narrow.

I appreciate any other advice you could give me.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:24 AM

Don't know how the line of site here is but if you made a 24" plus skid with a hook at the end and set this skid on a couple of PVC Pipes and a rope and pulley at the other end you could pull it up the yard depending on the slope.

I move 500+ pound boilers in this fashion. Except I use plank and steel pipe as rollers and an electric AC winch
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 09:26 AM

Home depot has a garden wheel barrel. It is made of plastic and about 20'' wide.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 03:09 PM

I don't know if you bought everything or not but if you need to skip the crushed rock I would suggest pulverized limestone. It packs tighter than sand, sand can move if it does not stay moist. How do you plan to get several tons of flagstone back there?

Jul 4, 2009, 06:03 AM
    All,

Thanks for your help and comments. I actually started the project yesterday with a wheel barrow I got at home depot. Their website is confusing as none of the wheel barrows mention a width of less than 32". For me, I understand width to be that of the bucket and handles from left to right. Apparently I am wrong on this or misread the spec. Regardless, everything is going well. I got the site excavated, moved the gravel and sand from where it was dumped into my garage, the geotextile down, the first 2" of crush rock down, and awaiting the plate compactor.

Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 06:34 AM

I have had every little success with home depot site. Try not to use it or their stores. That is getting harder everyday as they put more independents out of business.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patio Door Installation and Cutting Partial Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a french double opening glass patio door to my patio. Right now I have a window in its place. The house is a split level with half 30 inches of the foundation above ground with a 50h x 66w inch window atop. I want to remove this window and install a patio door and need to...

Perplexing daughter-in-law [ 2 Answers ]

How can I help to nurture a warm and comfortable relationship with my daughter-in-law who is so different culturally. I also find that I am considered "old" in her eyes and have completely different values and habits than this young woman. Add to that, the sensitive issue of her being married to my...

Leveling sand for flagstone patio [ 16 Answers ]

Hopefully this will be the only HoneyDo item for the summer. I've seen a dozen websites about this but none of them really answer for me "what do I do now?". I need to make this area almost level but slope a but away from the house. I'm out there now pulling it back toward the house with a 2x4...

Perplexing hallway leak [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a one-story ranch with the laundry hookups in the bathroom adjacent to the main hallway. On the opposite side of the hallway there is dampness in the carpet. This has been going on for some time and I'd like to have the carpet in the entire house replaced but not until I repair whatever...

Flagstone patios with Web backing [ 3 Answers ]

HGTV recently featured on Landscaper's Challenge - precut flagstone that was machined and joined by a strong poly-type mesh or web. It fit together like a puzzle piece and could be trimmed to be free forming. I found an out of state dealer while searching the HGTV website, but would really like to...

View more questions Search