Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Cost basis for 4 heirs of a house when 2 want to buy out other 2?
    4 siblings inherited a house from father and got an independent appraisal for value RANGE of $185,000-$210,000 and a suggested listing price of $204,000 on day of death. Question 1: Which of these figures is the FAIR MARKET VALUE of the home that should be the stepped-up cost basis for the inheritance?
    2 Siblings want to buy out the other 2 siblings and renovate and resell the house. 2 siblings being bought out have no interest in renovating and want to liquidate cash now. 2 siblings keeping the house DO have cash to pay for the buy outs.
    Question 2: Problem is this: the siblings who want to keep the home are offering to buy out the other 2 based on the figure of $197500 (Middle of the $185,000-$210000 appraisal range) MINUS 6% which they justify as the realtor cost that we'd incur if we sold the home through a realtor instead of selling it to them--so, essentially they are putting a value of $185650 divided by 4 as the price they will offer to buy out each of the 2 siblings:$46412.50. Does this make sense?
    Question 3: If the above 'deal' makes sense, then what is the capital gain or loss that the 2 siblings who are bought out must declare? Do the 2 siblings who keep the house share in any of that loss or gain? And if the 2 siblings who keep the house then turn around and sell it for more or less (gain or loss), what is THEIR COST BASIS? (If they do not live in house or keep it much length of time)??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Remember appraisal value of the house is just that, a idea of what the house is worth, What the real value of the house is, is the price of what a real offer can be. Is the market good or bad, I have a house that has an appraisal value of about 120,000 and I have not gotten a good offer over 100,000 for it. No one is buying houses in this area right now.

So the value of the home is just that the value that the person is willing to pay and what the other people are willing to offer.

And they are right, if they are not using a realitor they will be saving that fee and it is something to be considered.

And the capital gain will be the same if they sell it to family or if they sell it to a stanger, if they want to sell it, this does not sound like a bad offer,
    most likely they could ask for another 5000 each.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
    You may be mixing up the "cost basis" with the inherited value. The "cost basis" does not pass through to heirs.

Have an appraiser appraise the value for financing purposes which should not be the same as the inherited value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would you buy a house where someone was murdered/died? [ 21 Answers ]

I just am curious what everyone thinks, would you buy a house where someone died in it recently? How about a house where someone was murdered or committed suicide? My answers: I live in a house where someone died, but peacefully of old age... I would not buy a house where someone was murdered...

Can I break my lease to buy a house? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to research online and I'm not getting anywhere. I live in Iowa, and my lease automatically renewed May 1 for another year because I didn't give 62 days notice. I unexpectedly was able to buy a house, which was not something I thought I would be able to do. Now my landlord is...

Basis Of Life: [ 8 Answers ]

Living things have the ability to take energy from their environment and change it from one form to another. This energy is usually used to facilitate their growth and reproduction. Without these considerations, one does not live. Do you agree? ...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search