Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 05:45 PM
    My mother in law is funny
    I have mentioned her before, she lives in a assisted living apt. that is like living on a cruise ship. She is 82 and the most needy person I have ever met. I love her.

Today she left me a (no lie) 5 min. message on my cell with the list of things I need to pick up for her. (no problem, I do her shopping because she doesn't want to take the bus) I shop for her when I shop for us.

The funny thing is this... She called my husband and left 'him' a message

"Glen, I placed an order for Lamb Chops, I didn't order any for 'D' (me) because she doesn't like them"

I'm the one she placed an order with. :p

Anyone else find that funny?:D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:03 PM

Sometimes they are like little kids, aren't they!

My husband takes his 90 y/o mom to the various doctors she has to go to for her heart, etc. Say her appointment is at 10. She insists on getting there by 9, and every time a patient's name is called for his turn to see the doctor, my mil shimmies up to the window and shouts, "I was here first. I should be next." Of course, they have to remind her when her appointment is and that they don't do first come, first served. My husband finally got embarrassed enough that he refuses to take her any earlier than necessary (which drives her nuts).
    spoilsport Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2009, 12:29 AM
    She may just be trying to let your husband know what she is doing just to be clear about it..
    From her point of view it may also be because she doesn't want her son to mistake it and feel that she (his mom) is neglecting you (his wife) by not ordering for you.

She may also feel that you are an extension of her (she may not treat you as being seperate) meaning you doing something is different from her doing it so she might have said she ordered it. (some elderly feel so and don't really treat juniors separate from themselves like sometimes at work the boss will say I did this.. it would be soemthing that his reportee did but its in a way to protect the person as the boss assumes responsibility for it)

Are you sure there is no ego from your side here? (sorry if it upsets you) because in many big joint families elders do consider the juniors an extension of themselves because they do take responsibilities for decisions or clearly say who is..
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 01:05 AM

I would call that a senior moment!

I worked with the elderly for several years,and found them to be funny,wise ,sometimes cranky but always endearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

Children want to be with mother and mother agrees. [ 15 Answers ]

Hello,I live in Jacksonville,Florida and I have been here since 11/05.I used to live in NYC and at one point I was having a very hard time with my living situation so I gave my ex-husband custody of our 2 beautiful sons(hesitantly) but I knew they would be in a better environment at that time in...

View more questions Search