Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
    What do you use?
    This starts a little chatty, but I'm interested in which tools our hunters use.

I prefer the Browning Auto-5 12 gauge for both bird and deer.
    thora Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
    I use a remington Woodsmaster 30-06 with .180 grain, for deer and hog
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thora View Post
    I use a remington Woodsmaster 30-06 with .180 grain, for deer and hog
    I would have thought the 220 grain for hog, or boar anyway, but I've little experience with hogs.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Catsmine,
    I just found this.
    I use either a Remington 1100 12 gauge, or my grandfather's L.C. Smith 12 double barrel for quail and dove. As for deer, either my trusty Winchester 94(pre 1964), my Remington 742 30-06, or my Winchester model 97 12 gauge shotgun. The 97 is a WWI trench gun. I use a Savage 22-250 for coyotes. My Ruger 10-22 for rabbit and squirrel. And for armadillos my AK47, Walther p38 9mm, or the most quick thing I can grab. I eat all of the above EXCEPT the armadillo. They are a major pest that are non-indigenous to this area.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 03:02 AM
    I didn't know armadilloes had spread that far. Mississippi I had heard about.

The 1100 is one of Remington's all time great shotguns. Ranks right up there with Winchester's 94 In my opinion. Is your AK a true Kalashnikov or one of those SKS knockoffs?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I didn't know armadilloes had spread that far. Mississippi I had heard about.

The 1100 is one of Remington's all time great shotguns. Ranks right up there with Winchester's 94 IMHO. Is your AK a true Kalashnikov or one of those SKS knockoffs?
    It's a Chinese SKS, I wish I had a real Kal-kov.We make a lot of noise around here. Yea, we see armadillos all the time , dead on the road. They've been migrating over/up for the past several years. 15 years ago there were none.

I was raised up enjoying guns, with respect and safety, and am doing the same with my boys. Although I really enjoy hunting and shooting, Im not a fanatic. I work with one of those guys. He buys a new gun every couple of weeks, and is stockpiling ammo. I'm sure you know at least one of those up there.

I inherited a lot of guns, so several in my collection are old, back when they made them heavy, but right. Last week, I held an original Thompson 45, with a full drum. It was at least 25-30 lbs. You had to be a man to shoot that thing. Oh well, hope all is well. I have kin in Benson, N.C. Love it up there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 09:11 AM

Remington Model 10, with special longer tapered barrel
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Remington Model 10, with special longer tapered barrel
    That's a nice looking gun. Is it a pump? 12 ga?

Have you guys ever looked at the site gunbroker.com? You can find, and price, any gun you can think of.

The boys and I are going out in the yard to shoot some targets later. We'll use a Winchester model 62 pump 22 cal. Have you guys ever shot one ? You can hit a squirrel in the eye with it, iron sites. Many years ago, they used them at the local country fairs.

As far as deer hunting, I usually go on the 20 acres that we live on. It's loaded. We also own 236 acres in a "trophy" county. It has different regulations than the county we live in. The land has been in my wife's family for over 150 years. It has wild hogs too. Something that we are going to have to deal with here soon. They are coming this way, fast. We eat them, but they cause a tremendous amount of damage. We set out large traps too.

I enjoy hunting a great deal, but fishing even more. We go weekly. We usually take a couple of hundred crickets, worms, and artificial bait. We end up catching bream, bass, and sometimes catfish. Do you all fish? If so, for what?
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
    My wife has two of the Winchesters, her Grandad's and the one he got for her new for a birthday. They're both amazingly accurate, despite being made half a century apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search