Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5spd07gt Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 01:09 PM
    New Stove - gas line is a different size?
    So I am remodeling my kitchen and I just bought a new Kenmore gas stove. Went to hook up the gas line and the line from the new stove is bigger than the hard line I need to hook it to. Looks like the old gas line may have been 3/4 and the new is an 1in. Neither Lowe's or home depot sell an adapter fitting. Does anyone know a good website where I can buy this part? All help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to be using my new stove. Thanks!

Nate

Jul 1, 2009, 05:34 PM

I am assuming I need a reducer?

Jul 2, 2009, 10:38 AM

No one?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 08:43 PM

Before we go any further, pipe is goofy.

See Steel Pipes Dimensions - ANSI Schedule 40

for schedule 40 pipe.

First determine the OD of the pipe. If you don't have a caliper use a piece of post-it tape and measure the circumference. C=3.14*D, so you can find D.

Can we assume that both threads are tapered?

Next, this adapter needs to be what?

Female or male at each end?

Use the measured dimensions and the table to come up with pipe size.

Back to you.

Jul 3, 2009, 02:34 AM

Female end is the smaller diameter(house line) and male end is the bigger diameter (stove end) I'll have to try and figure out the sizes. Shouldn't the stove size be standard though? I think the male end is a compression fitting. Thank you
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Some of the newer gas stoves require more gas to operate. It is possible the line that serviced your last stove will be to small to provide the proper gas flow. In that case you will have to upsize the line from the main in the home to the stove. You can always hook it up and see what it does with all the burners and oven on. If it works fine that is good and if it does not then you will have to upsize the gas line.

Jul 3, 2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the tip. I need that darn reducer before I can do anythign :(

Jul 3, 2009, 06:18 AM
    What you are looking for is a bell reducer. Some company in your area will have one. Home Depot,Lowe's,hardware stores sholud have them. It is a black iron fitting that is quite common.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/blackfittings.html

http://www.ccallis.com/black_iron_fittings.htm

Jul 3, 2009, 06:43 AM

I need a female connection on one end and a male connection on the other. All I can find is two female ends
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:05 AM

OK, what os the size of the male end and what is the size of the female end?

Jul 3, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    OK, what os the size of the male end and what is the size of the female end?
    That I'm not sure of. I'll have to take a picture or try to figure it out. Neither Lowe's or home depot have anything close to the right part. Maybe a hardware store like Ace?
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:23 AM

You can always use a close nipple to convert a different size female to female coupling.

The gas fitting could be compression and not a pipe thread. Compression males have a domed smooth section.

Jul 3, 2009, 11:30 AM
    i need a female connection on one end and a male connection on the other. all i can find is two female ends
    All you have to do is buy a pipe nipple to screw into the side you need a male thread on. NO problem

Jul 3, 2009, 11:32 AM
    All you need to do is buy a pipe nipple the size of the male end you need and screw it into the fitting to make a male female combo fitting. Make sure you use pipe dope on all threads.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 08:05 PM

Show us a picture of both the house piping and the connection to the stove.

Jul 5, 2009, 05:44 PM

I'll get a picture for you. Over the weekend I was able to figure out the house pipe thread is 1/2fip and the compression fitting I need to have to adapt it to the stove line I THINK is 3/4. I tried a 5/8 and it was a tad to small but it was the biggest Home Depot had. I'm a little confused about the pipe nipple thing. Can anyone draw me a diagram or something?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 06:09 PM

These are typical gas fittings. Flare is used for gas. Compression for plumbing. Gas Flare Fitting, 1/2" OD x 1/2" FIP # 90-2032R by Dormont

The flare fittings are used for flexible gas lines.

Here are some pictures o nipples:

Black Pipe Nipple - BIC Warehouse

The one that's all threaded is a "close nipple". You either destroy it getting it out or use a nipple wrench or internal pipe wrench.

This may help a bit:

Gas Connectors

Jul 5, 2009, 06:17 PM

The workers at Lowe's and home depot didn't know what to tell me. I took both pieces and showed them what I was trying to connect and I couldn't get anywhere. I guess I'll have to call someone to come out and fix the darn thing. I've read the posts, tried looking up the parts and I just can't figure it out. I feel so stupid
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 06:19 PM

OK, take a picture with a ruler or coin in the picture for a size reference. Use "Go advanced/Manage attachments" to post on AMHD.

Aug 4, 2009, 04:48 PM

Ok guys, I got the part I needeed and hooked it all up.. . BUT now I have a new problem.

I have a gas leak I can not seam to fix. When I first hooked it up I could smell gas after a few seconds so I sprayed some soapy water and saw one place where it was bubbling. I took it apart and applied more pipe dope tape around the thread and tightened it back up as tight as I could get it. Now I do not smell gas anymore but when I spray it with soapy water I see super tiny bubbles, about the size of a needle point coming out of one area. I took it apart again redid the tape dope and applied even more but I STILL have the tiny bubbles in one little area but there is NO gas smell. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric stove install wire size/type [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a Peerless electric stove the plate on it says " Three wire 120/208 volt 60 cycle ac , wattage 8800. I have a GE powermark gold loadcenter with about 10 empty blanks for breakers. The loadcenter is about 75 to 80 feet from the stove location. What size/type wire should I use? What...

Running New Gas Line to Stove [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my electric stove with a gas stove... Off the 1 1/2" main line in the basement there is a tee, elbow and 3/4" plug, I plan on running the 3/4" black pipe over approx 1 ft, 90deg elbow 8 ft' run and 1' up through the floor, shut off valve, and flex line to the stove. Other appliances...

220 line for stove/range [ 1 Answers ]

I am a DYI'er trying to run a 220 line for the stove/range to the breaker box. New codes are 4 lines for dryers - stoves included? Pos,negative, nuetral & ground? The 3 prong outlet where does the ground wire go? Does it matter which side the red or blck go on?

Stove gas line repair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've recently acquired a 2 year old stove"brand new" but the main gas line of the stove has a crack in it right where it connects to the gas supply line, is there any way to cut this piece off and connect the gas supply line directly to the stove.

220 line for stove [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a 220 line to a stove?

View more questions Search