Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajoseph29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Staying abroad for more than 6 months: green card holder
    Hi,

I'm a Green card holder and married to a USA citizen. I'm plainng to visit India
    For 8 months due my preganacy. My understanding is a green card holder can
    Stay outside usa for 6 months. Do I need re-entry permit before I leave for india?
    So say I don't need if I'm not staying over 1 year, and I can request for re-entry at
    The port of entry with green card.

Advice!

Regards,

Julie Anil
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 1, 2009, 11:34 AM

Best to have a re-entry permit if you are planning on being outside the US for anywhere near 6 months.

You must be physically present in the US when you file the I131 and you will probably be scheduled for biometrics in 30-45 days after filing, so give yourself at least 2 months before you depart for filing lead time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card holder [ 2 Answers ]

Can a green card holder travel to Europe for vacation & if so, what are the requirements?:confused:

Travel abroad with green card [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. Her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005. I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife...

View more questions Search