Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wntrequinx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Downstairs shower knocks when hot water is on
    Ok, so my house has 2 full baths, and we're having problems with the downstairs bathroom.

The shower has a single temperature/flow control knob/lever, a tub spigot with shower diverter, and a drain lever.

If you use hot or rather warm water, as normal, the pipe knocks, shaking the wall, and making a hideous noise that you can hear everywhere else in the house.

You can make the noise go away in three ways:
    1) Take a cold shower
    2) If you turn down the RATE of the water, so you're not using full pressure, you can take a shower of any temperature without noise
    3) If you lower the shower diverter a small amount (so some water goes out the tub spigot in addition to the shower head) you can also take a shower of any temperature without noise.

My first thought is... the tub spigot has something to do with air getting into the pipes. This may have something to do with the fact that when I use that shower, I turn the diverter after the water is on... but the noise exists even if you turn on the water while the spigot is up...

Can anyone help? Will replacing the tub spigot help? I don't have access to the pipes on this bathroom like I do on the upstairs, so I'm hoping I don't need to get into the wall much for this...

[ on a related note, the upstairs bathroom shower leaks from the tub spigot, can that be fixed without replacing the spigot? ]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
    'If you use hot or rather warm water, as normal, the pipe knocks, shaking the wall, and making a hideous noise that you can hear everywhere else in the house."
    Is this a single bang or a steady vibration?

"Will replacing the tub spigot help?"
    No, The spout has nothing to do with it. The problem's in the tub faucet.
    What's the brand name of both the up and downstairs tub valves and how old are they?

"the upstairs bathroom shower leaks from the tub spigot, can that be fixed without replacing the spigot?"
    Yes it can.
    Waiting on you, Tom
    wntrequinx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Corrected post...
    Thanks for responding so quickly!

First, yes, this is a steady vibration, loud, but made up of many smaller, intermittent (but not regularly timed) bangs and vibrations

With regard to the faucet/valves, they are both are American Standard, probably from when the house was built in '88 or so, but at least 7-10 yrs old. The two faucets are identical, except the upstairs one has the logo in the center of the flow control/temperature control on sideways. I have pictures and will post them shortly.

I think I described the upstairs "leak" incorrectly... when we use the shower diverter on the spigot upstairs, it does not completely divert the water, and some water still goes out the spigot.

Downstairs Flow control...

Downstairs shower controls...

Downstairs showerhead...

Upstairs Flow control...

Upstairs shower controls...

Upstairs showerhead (installed 2003)...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

View more questions Search