Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuperDry18 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2009, 08:57 AM
    I HATE salad!
    Not fruit salads, but vegetables! They just make me gag and taste like nothingness.

I have heard that if you eat something you really don't like a few times, you get used to it and then you start to like it

Has anyone else heard this, is that true? :eek:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:02 AM

So do I, that's why you have to make it interesting

Experiment with different dressings and different types of veg to add.
    I can't stand onions or cucumber (never have, never will) but if you hand me a bowl of plain old lettuce doused in vinigarette dressing and I could just eat that by itself!

It can be true that if you eat something a lot you will grow to like it, a lot of that depends on your age as well.

I used to HATE brocolli with a passion when I was younger, now it is one of my favourite veggies (I have to fight the rabbits for it)

How do you cook your veggies?
    When I bake mine I put a little herb salt over them and they are great! Or for carrots I boil them with a little honey... there are lots of ways to make veggies nicer ;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:12 AM

I don't believe it. 53 yrs and I still would gag if I ate salad or vegetables. I can't even stand veggie smoothies.

I believe people are born with taste preferences. There is a thing in pyschology that you can tell your personality type by your taste preferences like sweet, sour, bitter, pungent, etc...

I like hoagies so I say the lettuce, tomato, onions,. are my salad on a hoagie.

I also make a stir fry that I like with onions, peppers, minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, shredded carrots and mung beans.

You can't get eggplant, broccoli, califlower, brussel sprouts, beets and many other veggies in me at all.
    CanadianCrook Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry18 View Post
    Not fruit salads, but vegetables! They just make me gag and taste like nothingness.

I have heard that if you eat something you really dont like a few times, you get used to it and then you start to like it

I hate salads but they are damn good for you.

Put some new dressing on it and see what's up.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:33 PM

So cook it and eat it as soup. You need your veggies.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jul 30, 2009, 03:52 PM

Some tastes change and some tastes don't. I cannot stand salads and I hate the taste of salad dressings even more. Even the smell of most dressings make me want to gag.

I do enjoy taco salads though, and things that have a lot more substance and less vegetables. I think the best thing to do is experiment and see if you can find a way that makes you enjoy being able to eat vegetables, and which ones you can tolerate better then others, for example there is no good way to eat carrots for me.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry18 View Post

I have heard that if you eat something you really dont like a few times, you get used to it and then you start to like it

I think that if you eat something that doesn't taste that good but not bad you can develop a taste for it. But if it is something that you think is discusting you won't start to like it.. maybe you can get used to it, but probably not like it.
    Fuchsia Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Aug 1, 2009, 07:02 PM

Try different recipes and see what you find. You just may find something you like. You do need your fruits and vegetables.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 07:11 PM

For me it all depends on the salad. One of my favorites for summer is basically a fruit salad with spinach added. Lol I just take whatever fruit I want or have around, chop it up. And throw in some spinach. For dressing, I take greek yogurt, add a little honey and orange juice to it.
    Sometimes it also depends on the type of greens you're using. I like romaine hearts but don't really care for the baby romaine bags.
    I also like to use rice wine vinegar on some salads. Just a touch, a little goes a long way. A bit of salt and pepper. Some goat cheese. And tomatoes if I'm in the mood.
    You may never like salads. Or maybe you just need to keep experimenting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potato Salad add ons. [ 7 Answers ]

I have to take a potato salad to a gathering tomorrow. I won't have time make one from scratch so I will buy one at the deli. Does anyone have an idea of what I can add to a store bought potato salad to make it more interesting and delicious? Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

Salad Ingrediants [ 2 Answers ]

There is a white meaty (think vegetable) ingrediant that you put in a tossed salad, and it actually taste sort of like meat but you find it in the vegetable area in the store. What is it called? :rolleyes:

Corn Salad [ 1 Answers ]

Any receipes for a corn salad. Had it and can't find it. I know it has corn, red and green peppers, etc and I think miracle whip and it was chilled. Don't know the measurement quantities

Overnight Salad [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone got a receipt for overnight salad they wish to share. I love that stuff but have no idea how to make it. Thanks

Salad Fingers [ 3 Answers ]

YouTube - Salad Fingers - Episode One This is so gross, watch episode 2 as well, and any others if you think it won't give you nightmares Whoever made these cartoons belongs in an institution lol

View more questions Search