Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick22663 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Whinning noise from washing machine water valve
    I have a new LG washing machine installed and the cold water valve from the wall makes a loud whinning/whistling noise when the cold water runs into the washing machine. What is causing this noise and how can I stop it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 08:23 AM

Make sure that valve is fully open. It sounds as if you have a washer in the valve that is vibrating. Most valves can be rebuilt but first tell us if its 100% open.
    nick22663 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Yes, the valve is completely open. Its only the cold water valve that makes this noise. Its not a vibrating sound, its more like a loud whistling noise. I flushed the water to make sure there was no air in the line but that wasn't it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Shut the water off to the house and unscrew the bonnet packing nut. Pull the stem and washer assembly out. Replace the washer. Before you reassemble the valve turn the water b ack on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test. Better now? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

In-Wall Washing Machine Manual Shut-off Valve Leaks Into Washing Machine [ 9 Answers ]

My hot water automatic shut-off valve on my washing machine started gushing water. So I figured no problem, I would turn off the water at the in-wall manual shut off valve for the washing machine. But even when I turn it all the way off, it leaks. It leaks into the hose going to the washing...

Leaking washing machine water supply shut off valve [ 8 Answers ]

How do you repair a water supply valve that is leaking. It is the valve that connects the water supply to my washing machine. The leak occurs when I shift the lever from off to on and vice versa.

Washing machine noise [ 5 Answers ]

My Maytag Performa model PAV2300AWW washing machine makes a terrible screech for about 10 seconds when each spin cycle starts. I replaced the drive belt but this made no difference. I checked the machines level and it appears fine. The machine works great except for the annoying noise. How can...

View more questions Search