Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 11:35 PM

Thanks... I've heard it before and have some philosophy background from college... I choose to remain inconclusive.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Hi again, InfoJunkie4Life!

It does make for a good practice in debate though, if someone wants to get into that kind of thing. There are larger topics that aren't as easy to swallow and swim in...

Thanks!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 12:17 AM

Agreed... time to tackle plato...

I like a challenge. I prefer to read completed argument similar to those about Socrates in Plato's dialogues. Then I take notes on each part of the argument... like a flow chart.

Then I critique the argument. Just for fun.

The more info in the argument, the more of a challenge, its hard to keep your mind on every step of a proof.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
    The answer to the problem.'A Tree in the Forest' is that when something makes a noise e.g. a tree falling, then according to Berkeley no noise is produced. What is produced are sound waves, which in essence is air vibrating. This is not a noise, something is only a noise if there exists a living creature with an ear ( ear drum and various tiny bones and fluid) which serve to pick up the vibrations. What is also required is a brain to interpret what is coming out of the ear. Naturally brains and ears tend to be found together.

The conclusion is that unless there is some reasonably advanced living creature with ears to pick up the vibrations, then no noise is produced when a tree falls. When we are talking about noise we really mean EXPERIENCED NOISE.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Hi, TUT317!

Then it's still a matter of definition then. Correct?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2009, 02:16 AM
    Hi, Clough.

In a word,Yes!
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 11, 2009, 10:33 AM

The tree falling only makes a sound when all things in the universe are a constant.

If the laws of physics can be broken or bent, then the sound or lack of, of a tree falling can also be changed

Given that all we know up to date suggest the law of physics cannot be broken, it safe to assume the tree would make a sound every time

However, mathematics also teech us that nothing improbable just highly improbable

Besides, if a tree fell and didn't make a sound, who would believe you :)

Oct 15, 2009, 03:21 PM

Hello Phlanx,
    The laws of physics can be broken. If I can conceive of some physical occurrence behaving in a way that we don't normally expect then for all intention purpose the law is not absolute.
    We cannot prove any physical law with certainty but we can disprove with certainty.

For example, when a tree falls in the forest I can easily conceive the noise being made is the sound of a piano playing.

Why do we expect to hear a cracking or crashing sound when a tree falls? As Hume says, it is just custom or habit. There is no logical necessity involved when we say that A causes B. Whenever we seen an event such as a tree falling we EXPECT to hear the appropriate noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cut Tree Down? Tree Roots destroying my walkway. [ 7 Answers ]

I have some type of birch tree in the front of my house. The roots have grown up on the lawn and crakes my walk way. The tree is beautiful but is destroying my walkway and the lawn. Can I save it or should I just cut it down. If I replant a tree, what tree can I plant that will avoid damaging my...

How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is...

Tree in forest [ 4 Answers ]

If a tree in a forest falls and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound??

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

View more questions Search