Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ERnurse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:13 PM
    How is a HIPPA violation reported?
    In the ER where I work, a HIPPA violation occurs each time a patient is triaged. The ER just underwent a remodel where private triage areas were replaced with a long counter where patients step up to for triage. Now their information is discussed with the nurse at the counter, while other patients wait in a line behind them for triage. It is like buying movie tickets! The entire line behind them and waiting room can hear all the patient's information such as chief complaint, health history, address, name, ss# etc. The process is terrible and I believe a direct violation of HIPPA. How would I report it so that something will be done about this? Primarily because management is not listening, nor intending to change the process!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 09:31 PM

You report it to the management of the Hospital

How many patients have filed complaints.
    Part of the issue, is that it is a patient, not a hospital employee giving out the info, So the patient has the ability to tell everyone.

It is the hospital forcing them to, that is the issue.
    And I guess my other issue, how many people in Line, I have been though some of Atlanta's busiest and not seen "lines" of people coming into the ER to sign in at the same time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA violation [ 11 Answers ]

How do you handle a HIPPA violation. I feel like my privacy has really been violated. I was diagnosed last Friday with shingles and my unit manager told all the other employees. I feel like I'll be going back to work with a stigma attached to me. Where do I go from here? Thanks

Is this a Hippa violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I was injured on the job as a police officer. I have had to see the police departments physician several times over the last 2 years. He is now discussing my medical diagnosis with several members of my police department. The last time he examined me he also asked a police command officer to...

View more questions Search