Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlsheldon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Bad credit.how to buy a house
    How do I buy a home with less than perfect credit?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 04:35 PM

Where are you located? I can get you to the right place if I know what state you are in.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    where are you located? i can get you to the right place if i know what state you are in.
    Location doesn't really matter when it comes to bad credit.

To the OP, work on repairing your credit first. You want to be in the best possible position to get a loan. Due to state of the economy- which is affecting everyone (even if you're not in the US)- banks are less likely to take the risk if you don't clean up your credit first.

Pay off some debts. Don't take out any other loans (vehicle loans, small bank loans) and don't open any new installment accounts (credit cards). Repair what you have.

Once you get your credit cleaned up, save up a large downpayment- shoot for 20%. This will also put you in a better position to get a great rate as well as manageable monthly payments.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:04 AM

I was asking just because there are many programs that aide familys with bad credit/no credit in buying a home.

This site may help. You can select your state from the list and it will take you to any assistant programs in your state

First Time Home Buyer Programs
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:18 AM

Jennie: on the very link that you posted, it also suggests cleaning up credit before even applying for a home loan. Also, many "first time home buyer programs" require that the applicant's credit report be clean in order to qualify.

So again to the OP: I strongly advise taking care of any outstanding debts, charge-offs, etc so that you are considered by banks "Credit Worthy". It may take some time but it will be well worth it in the long run.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:36 AM

The current economy has stopped the process of getting approval with less then perfect credit.

That is why we are supposedly in the crisis we are in, so the banks have locked up loans, tighten restrictions and now it is harder to get a loan unless you are in good credit standing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:47 AM

Hello:

The larger your down payment, the less important perfect credit becomes.

excon
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:50 AM

You may also want to look at foreclosed homes if your credit is less then perfect, buying a foreclosed home, maybe cheaper - allowing a better down payment.
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 10:00 AM

jenniepepsi agrees: i know. i wasnt suggesting that the OP does NOT fix thier credit. just letting them know what else is there too

The thing is, First Time Homebuyer's programs are often meant to assist with downpayments, closing costs, etc. in order to offer new buyers an incentive to purchase a home vs. renting. NOT to negate their responsibility of cleaning up their credit. Fannie Mae for instance, is a very reputable lending program that offers lots of incentives- but applicants must be clear/current on debts to even qualify.

But as excon said, if the OP can save up a sizeable downpayment then a smaller loan from the bank would be needed which would make qualifying easier.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 05:49 AM

The other question is "what does less than perfect mean to you"

Are we talking 720? 650? 450?

How bad is bad? What is your debt to income ratio? Is anything currently pending collection or is everything current, just old?

These are all factors in the process. If its bad from past transgressions and is in the process of repairing, bad might not be that bad.

My credit got trashed a few years ago. But I am current on everything, haven't missed a payment on anything in a few years and have a good debt to income ratio. They were more than happy to give me a mortgage. I had the benefit of a VA loan though. Your mileage may vary.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:34 AM

You will suffer higher interest rates AND a much much larger down payment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I buy a foreclosed house with little credit? [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a house that is being foreclosed, How can I buy it??

How can I buy a House with bad credit? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bad credit and I need to buy a house, and I do not have down payment.

Buying a house with no credit [ 3 Answers ]

I want to buy a house with my boyfriend but we both have no credit. I know we can't pay for a 20% down payment is there anyway we can get a house under these kind of circumstances??

Credit cards and house liens [ 1 Answers ]

Can credit card companies put liens on your home? I have about 30,000 dollars (between my husband and I) and I can't pay them for personal reasons. Can we get our house taken away because of this?

How to buy a house with bad credit, no credit, and no money down [ 22 Answers ]

I'm a mother of two, one 22 who is going to have a baby in oct. who is with the daddy of the baby, he is trying very hard, working all the time. But most of his money is going towards the baby. Then one 17 who is mildy mental retarded, They all live in a one room basement apartment. They really...

View more questions Search