Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gemmaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Does sweating make you loose weight?
    I have recently joined the gym and have unlimited use of the sauna and steam room. Some people say that by using these fascilities and sweating whilst doing so that your body will loose excess water, and in effect, loose weight. Others say that this is a silly thing to do. I wonder who is right. Also if it is true that it helps, should I be drinking fluids while in there to prevent dehydration? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 03:34 PM

You should be drinking o avoid dehydration. When you are thirsty, that's when you are becoming dehydrated.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 03:36 PM

Drink water.. seriously!

You lose weight by burning off calories.
    Yes you will lose water and water weight but your body will replace the water as soon as it can.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 03:34 PM

Yes, you should keep hydrated, always.

As for losing weight in the sauna, well..

The fact is your losing water weight and it's easily gained after drinking fluids, in which you have to do. Being in the sauna is not nearly as effective as it would be if you were to be doing some aerobics, running on the treadmill or other forms of exercise.

Saunas should be used for relaxing after a hard workout to soothe your muscles.

NOTE: If you do plan to use a sauna, you should be concerned about fluid replacement. Water tends not to be the best choice, since it doesn't contain a sufficient electrolyte balance. Juice, or specially formulated sports drinks are usually the optimum choice for replacing fluids lost while using a sauna. Lack of fluid replacement, and using the sauna for an extended period could result in dehydration.

Taken from: Will a Sauna Help Me Lose Weight?

Good Luck!

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Can I loose Weight [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 14 & I'm 5"2 I weigh 149 pounds can someone tell me how I can loose weight please...

Loose weight or loose my marriage! [ 60 Answers ]

I have been married for about 12 years , my husband has always had a problem with my weight. I have never been hugely overweight just a little pudgy.At one time I lost a lot of weight and got down to a size 4. I am now at the most I have ever weighed.180 size 12/14 See the thing is, for the past...

Does Sit Ups Make It Harder To Loose Weight? [ 3 Answers ]

Does Sit Ups Make It Harder To Loose Weight? I've Been Told That It's Harder To Loose Weight When You HAve Muscles Because Of Something I Don't Remember xD But Is That True? For Example If I Do Sit Ups To Get Rid Of My Tummy Will That Actually Help Or Just Give Me Muscles On My Stomach Along With...

Does the Bender Ball make you to loose weight and get in-shape? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the bender ball makes you loose weight? Or does it just tone what you have?

View more questions Search