Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jun 30, 2009, 03:03 PM
    I want to get new fish.
    I want to get new fish because I'm pretty sure I'll need some NEW ones. I have a 5 gallon tank and I'm just wondering, how many fish can fit in a five gallon tank?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 03:15 PM

Each fish needs 10gallons to 100gallons. Depending on what type. Goldfish need 10gallons. Koi fish need 100gallons each.

Get some tetras. They are pretty, easy to care for, and you can keep 5 of them in the 5 gallon tank

Jun 30, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    each fish needs 10gallons to 100gallons. depending on what type. goldfish need 10gallons. koi fish need 100gallons each.

get some tetras. they are pretty, easy to care for, and you can keep 5 of them in the 5 gallon tank
    Thanks so much for all the imformation you've given me today:):):):):):)

Jun 30, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    each fish needs 10gallons to 100gallons. depending on what type. goldfish need 10gallons. koi fish need 100gallons each.

get some tetras. they are pretty, easy to care for, and you can keep 5 of them in the 5 gallon tank
    Oh, and what kind of fish is a tetra is it a tropical fish or a cold water fish?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 03:23 PM

They are cold water. About 74-78* and sometimes they are also called 'neons'
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 04:24 PM

I was told by the fish expert at our pet store that it's one inch of fish for every gallon of water.

So, if you have a 5 gallon tank and a 5 inch long fish, he'll have to live alone.

Neons are great, they're small, pretty, easy to care for.

If you have bigger fish then watch out. Neons are bite size.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 05:57 AM

I always thought neons were warm water fish, we had them in our tropical tank :confused:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 06:02 AM

Altenwig- I agree had to spread the rep. 1 5 inch fish or 5 1 inch fish or any combo amounting to 5 inches.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 06:07 AM

You could also get some guppies. Those are small enough that you could get a few.

Jul 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I was told by the fish expert at our pet store that it's one inch of fish for every gallon of water.

So, if you have a 5 gallon tank and a 5 inch long fish, he'll have to live alone.

Neons are great, they're small, pretty, easy to care for.

If you have bigger fish then watch out. Neons are bite size.
    Thanks
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I always thought neons were warm water fish, we had them in our tropical tank :confused:
    I think they can live in both environments.

My dad had a tropical tank with neons, but I've had them in a cold water tank and had no problems.

Tetras are pretty adaptable.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
    I think they can live in both environments.

My dad had a tropical tank with neons, but I've had them in a cold water tank and had no problems.

Tetras are pretty adaptable.
    Cool, thanks for that :)

I have a coldwater tank too and one of my big goldfish died a few weeks back, looking some something new to replace him.

(replace sounds bad... fill the space?. that sounds bad too... sorry spot :()
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Cool, thanks for that :)

I have a coldwater tank too and one of my big goldfish died a few weeks back, looking some something new to replace him.

(replace sounds bad.... fill the space?... that sounds bad too... sorry spot :()
    Do you want my goldfish? I swear that thing will outlive us all. Five years and counting. He was a 27 cent feeder fish, he's not a 5 inch long king.

Actually, truth told, I'd miss him. I can't believe he's live this long. I usually have no luck with fish, especially goldfish.

He's an anomaly. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 05:17 PM

Wow, that's old for a goldfish!
    My one that died recently was a little over 2 years.
    You can get attached to fish, you can't pet them, or interact with them, but they are still family.

My parents have all the luck with fish, they used to breed Discus and sell them to our friend who owns a pet shop.
    Until my darling Jack (bunny) was running around the living room and bit through the heater cable, no-one noticed and all the fish died (we're talking thousands of dollars worth)... he was banished outside after that :(
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Wow, that's old for a goldfish!
    My one that died recently was a little over 2 years.
    You can get attached to fish, you can't pet them, or interact with them, but they are still family.

My parents have all the luck with fish, they used to breed Discus and sell them to our friend who owns a pet shop.
    Untill my darling Jack (bunny) was running around the living room and bit through the heater cable, no-one noticed and all hte fish died (we're talking thousands of dollars worth)... he was banished outside after that :(
    Poor Jack. He didn't know any better. He's just a bunny, doing what bunnies do. Hee, hee. ;)

I was told that goldfish can live for 20 plus years. I was floored. Until Goldie I've never had one live longer then a month. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 05:40 PM

20 years? Surely you jest? :eek:

I killed 2 of mine when I was about 5 years old by deciding it would be a good idea to clean the inside of the glass with toilet paper :o
    I thought I saw mum doing it but turns out she had a special cloth that she used.
    shockshockshad Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2009, 03:00 PM

Goldfish can live 20 years if given proper care. Some people get them and just dump them in a bowl and then expect them to live, but really, goldfish should be given at least a 40 gallon, but 55 would be better. They can get up to a foot long, and they like having friends!

Anyway, to answer the question this thread asked, for a 5 gallon, you can't have much other than a betta, or shrimp. The "inch per gallon rule" doesn't work. Try putting a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank (its only 20 inches long, and 12 inches wide)!! Even though tetras are small, and usually only an inch or 2 long, they like having at least 6-8 others with them, so a 5 gallon isn't big enough. You have probably heard of a betta, and that is perfect for a 5 gallon. Ask your fish store if they have any cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp. They both need tropical waters and all you have to do to feed them is, depending how many you have (which in a 5 gallon you could fit about 30), just drop some sort of wafer/disk fish food that sinks to the bottom. If you have a lot, such as 30, drop in 3-4 so all the shrimp get some. Sorry for such the long post! Lol

Jul 5, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shockshockshad View Post
    Goldfish can live 20 years if given proper care. Some people get them and just dump them in a bowl and then expect them to live, but really, goldfish should be given at least a 40 gallon, but 55 would be better. They can get up to a foot long, and they like having friends!

Anyway, to answer the question this thread asked, for a 5 gallon, you can't have much other than a betta, or shrimp. The "inch per gallon rule" doesnt work. Try putting a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank (its only 20 inches long, and 12 inches wide)!!!!! Even though tetras are small, and usually only an inch or 2 long, they like having at least 6-8 others with them, so a 5 gallon isnt big enough. You have probably heard of a betta, and that is perfect for a 5 gallon. Ask your fish store if they have any cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp. They both need tropical waters and all you have to do to feed them is, depending how many you have (which in a 5 gallon you could fit about 30), just drop some sort of wafer/disk fish food that sinks to the bottom. If you have a lot, such as 30, drop in 3-4 so all the shrimp get some. Sorry for such the long post! lol

Kay everyone, My fish isn't even one inch long because I don't like big fish. I have two black moors in my tank, even if this sounds like a lot it actually isn't. My two black moors are too small too even feed the small fish pellets to.

Jul 6, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Poor Jack. He didn't know any better. He's just a bunny, doing what bunnies do. Hee, hee. ;)

I was told that goldfish can live for 20 plus years. I was floored. Until Goldie I've never had one live longer then a month. ;)
    I was doing some research and the world's oldest goldfish is about 40 years old!
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    I was doing some research and the world's oldest goldfish is about 40 years old!
    Wow... I feel bad now!
    I'm going to take good care of my current goldfish!
    He has this special goldfish food, it is the nastiest smelling stuff in the world but he seems to like it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

I want to use it but I don't want to it. I'm just so torn. [ 32 Answers ]

Im just so tired of buying skin lightening products that I have to keep using over and over! I just want to use something that will give me gorgeous light skin so for mono users I have questions and please answer! 1- Is it true that mono will only turn you white and no other color? According...

Want to go down under :) [ 1 Answers ]

Not just a sexual inuendo; I really want to go to Australia I just wanted to know if anyone has any info on expenses or how easy it is to get a job down there. Do I need a working Visa? Any help would be great. Thanks!

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search