Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GradNerd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Total Stockholders Equity
    I am having trouble with total stockholers equity. I am given a problem with total assets, total liabilities and retained earnings given to me. I am not sure how to go about finishing it. Everything I can find mentions different types of stock that should be calculated. Anyone have any advice?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jun 30, 2009, 12:49 PM

Remember that Assets = Liabilities-Owners Equity

Also retained earnings is a type of equity.

If you want to post the question and your answer I will let you know if you are on the right track.
    GradNerd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Well, I am given:

Total assets $40k
    Total Liabilities $15K
    Total retained earnings $13K

The question is find the toal stock holder's equity.

I am thinking retained earnings is there to throw me off. Maybe assets-liabilities? Which would give me an answer of $25K?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jun 30, 2009, 01:29 PM

Yes you are thinking about that correctly. Assets - Liab = Equity

Remember RE is just a part of equity..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stockholders equity [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find stockholders equity on a balance sheet?

How to find Total Liabilties, Total Stockholder's Equity? [ 0 Answers ]

Net Income $765 Net Sales $36,762 Profit Margin 2.1% Net Sales $36,762 Average Total Assets ($15,719 + $16,078) divided by 2 = $15,898.5 Asset Turnover 2.3 times Net Income $765 Average Total Assets (from...

Stockholders equity [ 2 Answers ]

How do you journalize a statement when a person declares the required cash dividend on the preferred stock and a $1.15 dividend on the common stock?

Stockholders' equity [ 1 Answers ]

On June 30, 2005, Scizzory Corporation's common stock is priced at $31 per share before any stock dividend or split, and the stockholders' equity section of its balance sheet appears as follows: Common stock—$10 par value, 60,000 shares authorized, 25,000 shares issued and outstanding.. ....

Rate earned on total assets, stockholders' equity, common stockholders' [ 1 Answers ]

From the following data determine for the current year the a rate earned on total assets, b. rate earned on stockholders' equity, c. rate earned on common stockholders' equity, d. earnings per share on common stock, e. price-earnings ratio on common stock and f dividend yield on common stock....

View more questions Search