Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jun 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
    My fantail died
    My fantail died a few weeks ago and I just want to know how it died. It was the only fish in the tank and it's gills had white stuff poking out!:eek:
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:23 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

It sounds like your fish died of ick. Was the 'white stuff' looking like salt, and all over the fish and tank?

Do you have a fish vet in your area that could possibly preform an autopsy?

Jun 30, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    im sorry for your loss.

it sounds like your fish died of ick. was the 'white stuff' looking like salt, and all over the fish and tank?

do you have a fish vet in your area that could possibly preform an autopsy?
    Um no it didn't look like salt at all and it wasn't all over the fish just around the gills
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:40 PM

Can you possibly get a picture of it?

I want to say its simply the fact that he is dead. The same thing happens to people. When we die, our blood stops pumping, giving our bodys a pale /white color.

But I can't say that unless I know EXACTLy what it looks like.

Jun 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
    can you possibly get a pciture of it?

i want to say its simply the fact that he is dead. the same thing happens to people. when we die, our blood stops pumping, giving our bodys a pale /white color.

but i can't say that unless i know EXACTLy waht it looks like.
    Well I can't get a picture of it because I flushed it down the toilet. But it looks like a whitesh wormy thingy sticking out of the gills
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:48 PM

Ahhh

This is most likely poop. Which is common and I doubt this was the cause of death unless he asperated it and jammed up his gills and he stopped breathing.

You may never know why he died hon.

Jun 30, 2009, 12:50 PM

Well I don't agree because I feed my fish red flakes and their poo is always red
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:55 PM

Their poop should NOT be red unless you are over feeding them that tells me they had internal damage.

Jun 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
    [QUOTE=jenniepepsi;1828388]their poop should NOT be red unless you are over feeding them that tells me they had internal damage.

but all my fish's poops are red and alot are very healty
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 01:19 PM

Huh?

Jun 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
    huh?
    well as i mentioned i feed my fish red flake food and their poops are always red

Jun 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    well as i mentioned i feed my fish red flake food and their poops are always red
    hello? you still there?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 30, 2009, 02:10 PM

Goldfish are actually fairly fragile fish. They can become poisoned, and die, from the toxins their own bodies produce if their water isn't changed often enough. Also, since they are fish, they don't usually have an incredibly long lifespan.

How big was the fish, in inches? How big was the tank, in gallons? Did it have a filter system? How old was the fish? How long had you had it? Where did you get it from?

The general rule is one inch of goldfish for every gallon of water in the tank. You should also be changing out half the water every month or so, and have a filter system in place. Under gravel filters work best with goldfish.

Where you get the fish can make a huge difference, too. There is usually no way of knowing how old a fish is when you buy it. Many pet stores don't take very good care of their fish, especially smaller, less expensive fish, like goldfish. When you're looking at fish you should look at all of them. If there are dead fish in the tanks, the water seems unclean, there's algae build-up, any of the fish seem listless or sick or damaged in any way, or they have fish poorly paired it's a good idea to not buy fish from there. And by look at all the fish, I mean all of them. Just because the tank holding the type of fish you want to buy look OK doesn't mean the rest of them are. If they don't take care of one tank, they're probably not taking very good care of the rest, either.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Originally Posted by joyluo1999

hello? you still there?
    I am really confused as to why there are a whole bunch of random squares in your posts...

Jun 30, 2009, 02:53 PM
    I had a 5 gallon tank with no filter. That fantail was the only fish left in that tank.
    (The rest died from fin and tail rot.) The fantail was about one inch long, including the tail when it died. I got it from WAL-MART. (I know WAL-MART fish aren't the best.) I only had it for about 3 weeks but when I bought it they said it was a baby and was going to grow very fast.

Jun 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Huh??

Jun 30, 2009, 02:55 PM
    I had a 5 gallon tank with no filter. That fantail was the only fish left in that tank.
    (The rest died from fin and tail rot.) The fantail was about one inch long, including the tail when it died. I got it from WAL-MART. (I know WAL-MART fish aren't the best.) I only had it for about 3 weeks but when I bought it they said it was a baby and was going to grow very fast.

Jun 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
    My computer got messed up so I had to go for a while

Jun 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    goldfish are actually fairly fragile fish. they can become poisoned, and die, from the toxins their own bodies produce if their water isn't changed often enough. also, since they are fish, they don't usually have an incredibly long lifespan.

how big was the fish, in inches? how big was the tank, in gallons? did it have a filter system? how old was the fish? how long had you had it? where did you get it from?

the general rule is one inch of goldfish for every gallon of water in the tank. you should also be changing out half the water every month or so, and have a filter system in place. under gravel filters work best with goldfish.

where you get the fish can make a huge difference, too. there is usually no way of knowing how old a fish is when you buy it. many pet stores don't take very good care of their fish, especially smaller, less expensive fish, like goldfish. when you're looking at fish you should look at all of them. if there are dead fish in the tanks, the water seems unclean, there's algae build-up, any of the fish seem listless or sick or damaged in any way, or they have fish poorly paired it's a good idea to not buy fish from there. and by look at all the fish, i mean all of them. just because the tank holding the type of fish you want to buy look ok doesn't mean the rest of them are. if they don't take care of one tank, they're probably not taking very good care of the rest, either.

Jun 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    huh???
    Um my computer stopped working and I had to restart it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mom died.who's next? [ 25 Answers ]

On Friday, September 26th, my mom lost her battle with lung cancer. I was with her holding her hand when she died and I thought I was having a heart attack. All I could hear was the fast beating of my heart in my ears. I never imagined that I would be the one to watch her die. My wonderful...

Martin died feb 23 I died feb 23 [ 12 Answers ]

My soulmate my life my smile was taken from me feb 23 after 3 weeks in intensive care . He waited for me I got goodbye but it doesn't make it easier. He was 45 he would have been 46 4 days after he died . People say times a healer but at the moment I find every day gets harder and lonlier still...

Fantail goldfish has swollen bump behind her gill [ 5 Answers ]

She has the bump for 2 weeks now. Initially she is still very active and eats well. And now, she still eats well but sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time. We tried Epsom salt for 1 day then switched to aquarium salt after talking to the aquarium staff. We started the Internal...

Fantail fish tunring black? [ 2 Answers ]

We've recently brought two tiny gold fantails, they are really lively and fins up etc and eating OK but suddenly over past 4 days their tails and fins are turning black, and they have odd spots round the eyes 9 not in eyes they look ok) and gills - we ran cycle for ages etc, and test water doing...

View more questions Search