Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jun 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    i am really confused as to why there are a whole bunch of random squares in your posts....
    Um my computer stopped working and I had to restart it.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    I had a 5 gallon tank with no filter. That fantail was the only fish left in that tank.
    (The rest died from fin and tail rot.) The fantail was about one inch long, including the tail when it died. I got it from WAL-MART. (I know WAL-MART fish aren't the best.) I only had it for about 3 weeks but when I bought it they said it was a baby and was going to grow very fast.
    Did you completely clean and/or treat the tank after the other fish died? It might have been the fin rot that killed your fantail. It's been known to effect the gills. It could have also been a bacterial or fungal infection from having dead fish in the tank.

It's best to clean a tank after an infection kills off fish. You can also buy tablets to drop into the tank that kill off the infection, and turn the water green for a couple weeks.

On a side note, the people who work in the walmart pet department know nothing of where their fish come from or their ages. Most of them know very little about fish at all.

It may have just been a small fantail to begin with. Fantails come in 3 sizes; small, medium, and large. Most fish reach full size in the first few weeks of their lives.

If you plan on getting any more fish I would suggest a full cleaning of the tank first, and the installation of a filter system. Drain out all the water. Wash any gravel or rocks you have at the bottom. Wash the tank itself.

Also, if you plan on getting more goldfish, you'll need to prep the tank. Goldfish needs certain chemicals in their water to thrive. Chemicals that their own bodies produce. It's best to get a few feeders to prep the tank. Just let them live in the tank for about a month before getting the fancier, and more expensive, goldfish.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jun 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    did you completely clean and/or treat the tank after the other fish died? it might have been the fin rot that killed your fantail. it's been known to effect the gills. it could have also been a bacterial or fungal infection from having dead fish in the tank.

it's best to clean a tank after an infection kills off fish. you can also buy tablets to drop into the tank that kill off the infection, and turn the water green for a couple weeks.

on a side note, the people who work in the walmart pet department know nothing of where their fish come from or their ages. most of them know very little about fish at all.

it may have just been a small fantail to begin with. fantails come in 3 sizes; small, medium, and large. most fish reach full size in the first few weeks of their lives.

if you plan on getting any more fish i would suggest a full cleaning of the tank first, and the installation of a filter system. drain out all the water. wash any gravel or rocks you have at the bottom. wash the tank itself.

also, if you plan on getting more goldfish, you'll need to prep the tank. goldfish needs certain chemicals in their water to thrive. chemicals that their own bodies produce. it's best to get a few feeders to prep the tank. just let them live in the tank for about a month before getting the fancier, and more expensive, goldfish.
    Yes I did clean out the tank and put medication in to make sure the bacteria was gone and I also looked at the tail and it was normal. I really don't think it was fin and tail rot that killed my fish
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 30, 2009, 03:41 PM

I doubt you'll ever figure out what killed it. I would just go with a thorough cleaning before putting any more fish in the tank, and installing a filter system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mom died.who's next? [ 25 Answers ]

On Friday, September 26th, my mom lost her battle with lung cancer. I was with her holding her hand when she died and I thought I was having a heart attack. All I could hear was the fast beating of my heart in my ears. I never imagined that I would be the one to watch her die. My wonderful...

Martin died feb 23 I died feb 23 [ 12 Answers ]

My soulmate my life my smile was taken from me feb 23 after 3 weeks in intensive care . He waited for me I got goodbye but it doesn't make it easier. He was 45 he would have been 46 4 days after he died . People say times a healer but at the moment I find every day gets harder and lonlier still...

Fantail goldfish has swollen bump behind her gill [ 5 Answers ]

She has the bump for 2 weeks now. Initially she is still very active and eats well. And now, she still eats well but sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time. We tried Epsom salt for 1 day then switched to aquarium salt after talking to the aquarium staff. We started the Internal...

Fantail fish tunring black? [ 2 Answers ]

We've recently brought two tiny gold fantails, they are really lively and fins up etc and eating OK but suddenly over past 4 days their tails and fins are turning black, and they have odd spots round the eyes 9 not in eyes they look ok) and gills - we ran cycle for ages etc, and test water doing...

View more questions Search