Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janelle101 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Bad Debts
    My question: suppose the actual bad debt for a buusiness for the three previous years is 5%. If the net credit sales is 2,000,000.00 then what is the estimate bad debt expense for the next year? I tried but I don't think this is right.

Bad Debt Expense... 100,000
    Allownace for doubtful accounts.. 100,000
    To record bad debt expenses.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jun 30, 2009, 06:25 AM

Looks right to me...

Only question I have is, is there anything in the allowance account now? Also the question doesn't seem to ask for a J/E just the amount.
    Janelle101 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 06:40 AM

This is exactly the way the question were asked.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Jun 30, 2009, 06:49 AM
    Recording estimated uncollectible or doubtful debts can be on two methods:
    1. Income statement approach - Under this you just record the estimated bad debts based on sales. Your entry is correct. Balance in the allowance account will change due to this entry and any actual bade debts in the next year will be recorded in the allowance account with a credit to accounts receivable.
    2. Balance sheet approach - This methods reports the estimated doubtful debts based on the year end accounts receivable. If there is any balance in the allowance account, the charge to the income statement will be the difference between the required estimate and the balance in the allowance account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I pay off these debts? [ 10 Answers ]

I have 3 accounts that I don't know what to do about or really understand the how to calculate. I would appreciate any help on this. Two of them were opened in 11/01, last payment 11/04, date of first delinquency, 12/02. The third account was opened at the same time as the other two, except,...

Bad Debts [ 1 Answers ]

4. A company uses the aging of accounts receivable method to estimate its bad debts expense. On December 31 of the current year an aging analysis of accounts receivable revealed the following: Accounts Receivable Account Age Estimated Uncollectible...

Bad debts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm doing an accounting question and I can't get my trial balance to balance I think its something to do with how I'm accounting for the bad debts. If I have sales of 4,200,000 made evenly throughout the year and customers are allowed a months credit and halfway during the year one of the...

Old debts [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 creditors that are just starting to call me about 2 old credit cards that were from like 12 or more years ago... these were both paid I highly doubt I have the proof that this was paid. Can someone advise me on how to handle this situation?

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

View more questions Search