Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeff_2491 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Criminal background check at Best Buy
    I got the job at Best buy they just have to do a criminal background check and drug test. I'm 17 getting this job but I didn't put down that I worked at Subway when I was 15 since I got fired and didn't care at the time (I was dumb) on the paper work he gave me it said criminal background check and drug test so is that all there doing?

Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Hi, Jeff_2491!

Did you tell them about the position at Subway and/or filled out on the job application that you had worked at Subway?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Jeff_2491!

Did you tell them about the position at Subway and/or filled out on the job application that you had worked at Subway?

Thanks!
    No I left it black on the app. And when they brought it up I said I had no other jobs. (Didnt want to put a job I got fired at since I was 15 and didn't care :confused: )
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

You said you got the job so I don't see a problem. They say that the next step is to do a criminal records check and a drug test. You can't do a criminal records check on a juvenile, those records are sealed, but you sound like you don't have a record anyway. So all you should have to worry about is a drug test and this won't be a problem either, Right??
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

Hi again, Jeff_2491!

Did you make enough at Subway that you paid taxes on your income?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
    I have no criminal background

Yeah I did pay taxes :o

Jun 29, 2009, 10:55 PM
    :( I hope they can't find that I worked at subway. I worked there from April to Aug's a few years back
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:00 PM

Since it's a job at Best Buy, there might be the possibility that they would do some sort of credit check. It would be logical at Best Buy for them to do that because they sell really expensive things.

Now, concerning whether they will do a credit check or not, I don't know. Of course you gave them your social security number. Correct? You would have to have that in order to be able to work.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:02 PM
    Well, I won't condone omitting or lying on an application. I've lost more than a few jobs for various reasons but have always been able to find other employment.

I'm also not trying to scare you here.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Since it's a job at Best Buy, there might be the possibility that they would do some sort of credit check. It would be logical at Best Buy for them to do that because they sell really expensive things.

Now, concerning whether they will do a credit check or not, I don't know. Of course you gave them your social security number. Correct? You would have to have that in order to be able to work.

Thanks!
    Yes It is on the application so they have my SS.

On the papers they gave me it says what there going to do and only says Drug test and Criminal background check
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:06 PM

Hi, JimGunther!

Can they do a background on him based upon his Social Security number? I don't really know...

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimGunther View Post
    You said you got the job so I don't see a problem. They say that the next step is to do a criminal records check and a drug test. You can't do a criminal records check on a juvenile, those records are sealed, but you sound like you don't have a record anyway. So all you should have to worry about is a drug test and this won't be a problem either, Right???

So they can't find any records on me if am a Juvenile?

Yeah the drug test should be good I took it today but I was just worried since last week I smelt it cause my friend was doing it. So since I was worried I drunk a lot of water just in case.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 29, 2009, 11:11 PM

Well I know that a SSN can be used by government agencies like Social Services (to see if a welfare recipient has an income) or law enforcement to do criminal background checks, but due to privacy issues private companies do not have access to that stuff. I was a retail security manager in two major corporations and was involved in some hiring and there was way no way we could check on anything using SSN.

It takes a court order to open juvenile criminal records in my state, I understand that's pretty universal.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:12 PM

I can see where the government can find anything, but I don't know about a store or other place where people who've not yet reached the age of majority might usually seek out a job and be employed.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_2491 View Post
    So they can't find any records on me if am a Juvenile?

Yeah the drug test should be good I took it today but I was just worried since last week I smelt it cause my friend was doing it. So since I was worried I drunk alot of water just in case.
    What do you mean by what I've made bold, please?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
    I think they can look at my records since I had to sign the paper of my application. But can they find past jobs with just a criminal background check? :confused:

Jun 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
    What do you mean by what I've made bold, please?

Thanks!
    Sorry, Pot I smelt it when my dumb a** friend started to smoke it in the same room as me the room is huge with a huge ceiling and I could smell what they blew out. Just to make sure I drank water more over the week. And I smelt 5-15mins of it
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:20 PM

Do you know someone personally who works for that Best Buy store?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 11:22 PM

I've tried the following search, but haven't found exactly what we're looking for here.

What do they check for in the background check of a juvenile - Google Search

Jun 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Yes this girl I don't talk to often but I recently did.
    She doesn't know I worked at subway though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will arrest show on criminal background check? [ 16 Answers ]

I got arrested and released from booking by judge due to no probable cause. The judge even didn't consider it. Will the arrest show on any kind of criminal backgrounds check or fingerprint check?

Criminal Background Check [ 12 Answers ]

Greetings! Over the years I have completed multiple employment applications which have entailed answering Professional Conduct Questions. Each time the question: Have you ever been charged with, convicted, etc appeared, I have answered "NO", which is by all means true. In 1989 I was taken into...

How can background check discover your criminal record [ 11 Answers ]

As titled Isn't the record something private and protected by the government and shared amond authorities only?how can company have access to that or possibly discover it?:eek:

Will a misdemeanor appear on a criminal background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was arrested for stealing clothes in a major department store and was arrested by the police department in NYC.(First and only arrest). I was fingerprinted and photos were also taken of me. I was charged with a misdemeanor and was told that after a year the charges would be dropped. My...

Background/Criminal Check [ 6 Answers ]

I posted a few months ago about a man my mother has started dating. The whole situation with him is so suspicious that I'm worried. He recently got arrested for something that he supposedly went to jail for in Florida a few months ago. Since he wouldn't be arrested for the same thing twice, I...

View more questions Search