Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unsafehannah Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 09:36 PM
    Statue of Limitations on Judgments
    I have a judgment that was filed on dec 13 2004 and I was wondering when it will reach it's SOL date.
    From everything that I have read online I would have to think that it would be on Dec 13 2010 is this right?
    And can they renew this judgment? I live in Ontario and I haven't been able to locate anything stating yes or no?
    How long to they last for? 6, 7,10 20 years?
    I have read a lot about as long as you don't take responsibility they can try and collect but they can't legally come after me.
    Is that right?

Thanks for your help

Hannah
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:20 AM

The Statute of Limitations (SOL) is the time frame during which a lawsuit must be filed before a "debt" goes stale. It has nothing to do with a Judgment. I twould appear that a Judgment was obtained against you within the SOL.

Are you asking about the length of time a Judgment can be enforced in Ontario? If so I find a reference that the Judgment is "good" for 10 years and renewable for another 10 but I cannot find the actual law.

I have asked a Canadian counterpart to take a look at this thread.

Jun 30, 2009, 08:27 AM
    "Are you asking about the length of time a Judgment can be enforced in Ontario? If so I find a reference that the Judgment is "good" for 10 years and renewable for another 10 but I cannot find the actual law."

Yes I was wondering about the time line in which it can be enforced.
    I too have looked and I have not been able to come up with any results.

Please let me know if you find anything regarding this matter and I too will
    Post anything new that I have found.

Thanks Hannah:)

Jun 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
    I would just like to let people who read this know that I called and found out that Judgments in Ontario last for 20 years. After which they are removed. At that point they can not be renewed!

Hope this helps anyone looking for this information.

I contacted London court services to get this information
    Their number is 519-660-3013

Thanks again for all your help
    :D

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:30 PM

Is it 10 years, renewable for 10 for a total of 20 OR 10 years and if the creditor doesn't extend it, then it's "dead?"

Great info and research by the way - good work and very helpful.

Jun 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is it 10 years, renewable for 10 for a total of 20 OR 10 years and if the creditor doesn't extend it, then it's "dead?"

Great info and research by the way - good work and very helpful.
    When I called and asked a few questions they told me that it's 20 years with no renewal!

As I did ask if she meant 10 years and then a renewal of another 10 years and she said "NO"
    It's 20 years, with no renewal!!

Hope this helps out. (This in in Ontario, Canada)

Thanks Again for your help Judy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations on Student Loan Judgments [ 3 Answers ]

I had a judgment on a student loan. The judment was over ten years old. I thought the statute of limitations had run and therefore the judgment and the higher interest on the judgment were no longer valid. I have now been told judgments on student loans never expire. They do on other types...

Statue of Limitations [ 4 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I received a letter from a collection agency saying that I owed Columbia House approx $170.00. I live in Nova Scotia. I have not had an account with them in at least 8 to 10 years and when I did it was at a different address and PO BOX. To the best of my knowledge I had paid...

Statue of Limitations [ 4 Answers ]

I received a post secondary student loan in 1995. I didn't have a GED or High School diploma when I received this loan. I went to school and graduated but never received my diploma for the school, obviously because I didn't have a GED or HS diploma. I never repaid the loan. It has now been 13...

Statue of limitations. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a mortgage dept in Canada?

Statue of limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know how long it take for a bench warrant in British columbia to dissapear:confused:

View more questions Search