Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Is this a HIPAA Violation and if so should I report it?
    I have a Facebook page and one of my "friends" on the page is a midwife and every time she delivers a baby she puts the baby's full name and it's birth statistics on her Facebook page. Isn't this a HIPAA violation?

Thank you,
    Lisa
    Lesko04 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
    HI Lisa,
    She may think she's doing something nice for the new parents, however, it is a direct violation of HIPAA, if she is not the biological parent of every child she discuses or does not have a signed, witnessed R.O.I form (Release of Information) she is most certainly violating the core of what HIPAA stands for. They protect discuses right to privacy, she is opening up their privacy like it's show and tell time. She needs to button her lip and stop telling private,privileged information that is not hers to share. If she is an employee she may find herself out of a job real soon. A violation of privacy could lead to harm for the people whose lives are being openly discussed. HIPAA was enacted for a reason. Privacy must adhered to, and all patients that require medical help need to feel secure their medical needs, treatments, or conversations are not shared with anyone who cares to hear about it. SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH is the best policy
    Lesko04 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2009, 10:14 PM

Even those whom do not work directly in the hospital or doc's office are still bound to uphold the same standard of privacy. At my job we have coders at home, They must still keep all medical records confidential from their hubby, kids and even sweet ol aunt fran. Privacy is a standard, it must not be altered.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:07 AM

Do you have direct knowledge that the midwife does not have permission to release the info?
    Texas Mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Do you have direct knowledge that the midwife does not have permission to release the info?
    Yes, I do have direct knowledge that she does not have a release form.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
    This is a direct violation of HIPAA if the midwife has not been given express permission via FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) by every patient. As a nurse myself, working now in different departments of the hospital, I am not even allowed to divulge which area I work in on any particular night. I'm not giving out any patient info, but it is still considered a HIPAA violation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mom View Post
    Yes, I do have direct knowledge that she does not have a release form.

Then it's a reportable violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

My step son is double covered with our insurane as secondary. When he's been to the doctor his mother uses her address when she signs him in. When my insurance company received claims from the doctors office, it had her address, and instead of talking to me, mailed the EOB's to her address. When...

Hipaa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

During a group casual meeting, medical information was disclosed to the group from an individual, is this a hipaa violation? Would this be considered a civil or criminal penalty?

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a request from I doctor I have never met asking me to participate in a research study. The doctor does work in the same office as a doctor I have seen in the past but I have not seen that doctor for about two years. The envelope contained the necessary medical records release...

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

Hipaa law violation [ 2 Answers ]

This has to do with a divorce case: wife and husband had to complete drug tests in regards to child custody and parenting time. Wife tested negative and husband tested positive. Wife proceeded to email drug test results of husband to business belonging to Husband's father... including his...

View more questions Search