Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx24 View Post
    It's not the settling I have a problem with, it's me paying the $1300 and then having them sell out the rest of the amount they say I owe to someone else.
    Clarify things like Judy and I advised you. You will be fine. (You're a worrier, aren't you... )
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Should've got it in writing! Check your credit report to make sure it indicates that this bill has been paid. Sometimes it will say 'paid in full", sometimes "settled for less than owed", either way, it's over. If your report says anything other than that the debt was satisfied in one way or another, you can dispute with the credit bureau it as long as you have the proof to back it up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2009, 05:36 AM
    3. The first sentence is the meat of their letter and it states, "Pursuant to our recent communication, this letter wioll confirm that we ahve the authority to accept as settlement for the captioned matter the sum of 1300 to be delivered to this office....
    Settlement for the captioned matter means settlement in full. As long as the captioned matter refers to the case or account, then they cannot pursue it further,

As Judy said, if you don't like the language ask for language you like.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
    It's not the settling I have a problem with, it's me paying the $1300 and then having them sell out the rest of the amount they say I owe to someone else.

As I said, the wording is fine - IN SETTLEMENT means IN FULL SETTLEMENT. If the debt IS sold and there is attempt to collect the balance, you are protected.

OR request that they change the wording to make you more comfortable.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    Should've got it in writing!! Check your credit report to make sure it indicates that this bill has been paid. Sometimes it will say 'paid in full", sometimes "settled for less than owed", either way, it's over. If your report says anything other than that the debt was satisfied in one way or another, you can dispute with the credit bureau it as long as you have the proof to back it up.

He DID get it in writing. Do you read the thread before you answer?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
    They won't be able to do that.
    If they have settled with you, the "rest of the amount" would be zero.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 10:45 AM
    [QUOTE=simoneaugie agrees: One does not need to be a moderator to politely identify immature reactions. This is an opinion..[/QUOTE]

Did you read and understand the moderator's explanation of this question? It's #48 of this thread.

The question of asking people not to answer is also here - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...cy-372284.html - although it has been closed due to the abusive nature of the responding posts. Ask FrChuck to reopen it and you can explain your position concerning reactions and opinions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?

Working hours vs lunch hours [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am presently working. I love my job so it's not an issue to me if everyday, I come in to work earlier than I should be and going home later than I should, eversince I was employed in this company. Today, our HR had sent me an email with our CEO copied on reminding me that my lunch hour is...

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Hours [ 1 Answers ]

How many days a week do you work and how many hours are you typically working :eek:

View more questions Search