Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 07:13 PM

Caught me in a rather bad day mood. I had to come to this thread over 4 times and do mod just tonight. Sorry
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    caught me in a rather bad day mood. I had to come to this thread over 4 times and do mod just tonight. Sorry
    Jeremy is new and didn't understand all the rules. I want him to stay, so thanks, FrChuck, for helping clean up this thread. I'm sorry it's been a bad day and hope tomorrow will be better. We all still love you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks, I am living the child custody issues we talk about.
    Actually getting it all filed for modifications but had to work out every detail for the next 8 years that we could possibly think of. What age to allow them to stay alone, and so on and so on
    Buddyboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Jul 3, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I do not know where you get your "legal" information but it is NOT correct in my State - NY.

I do not live in NY. There are 49 other states. What is with your ethnocentricity? As I said in my info, this varies from state to state. This is what happened to me and with the exact details I described as it happened. My intent is to share info that I have learned thru this process that may help someone not to go thru what i have. YES, my information is correct in my state.

For starters, the Court has no knowledge of the Summons until the case is filed with the Court. The summons clearly states--In the superior court of...state of...summons..

The Sheriff does not serve the papers. Yes, it was served by the sheriff to my home.

Wages cannot be garnished in every State.
    yes, my wages have been garnished for 5 month for money that I do not owe while I am awaiting a hearing date in superior court. Yes, not all states can have wages garnished, but one should certainly find that out and be prepared that could be a consequence if ignoring a summons. Fair-debt-collection.com list each state that allows garnishment, how much, etc. Simply googling "what states allow wage garnishment" can answer that quickly.

Because of your intent to tell me what I said is not true, I request that you not comment on any further questions or comments that I may have. I do not intend to argue with you about what goes on in your state of NY again.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy View Post
    yes, my wages have been garnished for 5 month for money that I do not owe while I am awaiting a hearing date in superior court. yes, not all states can have wages garnished, but one should certainly find that out and be prepared that could be a consequence if ignoring a summons. fair-debt-collection.com list each state that allows garnishment, how much, etc. Simply googling "what states allow wage garnishment" can answer that quickly.

Because of your intent to tell me what I said is not true, I request that you not comment on any further questions or comments that I may have. I do not intend to argue with you about what goes on in your state of NY again.

Try reading the rules of the site - you may find them informative, particularly directing how posts are answered.

Your post had several errors in it - please cover ALL the bases if you do not know where OP lives instead of making blanket statements.

Your answer is particularly puzzling in view of your thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...aw-370686.html
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 3, 2009, 11:49 AM

Try reading the rules of the site - you may find them informative, particularly directing how posts are answered.
    I've seen this posted a time or 2 before and after looking through the rules, I cannot find where it says that one cannot make a polite request to another member to cease. Yes, there is the ignore feature, but that's not always a good option. There's a few posters whose information is valuable, but sometimes they can be harassing, insulting or not helpful in one small respect yet still have good information, so to ignore, one would miss out on everything that poster had to offer...

I don't see why some people get so upset and vindictive when politely asked to stop. Most of us are adults here, be mature about it. If it appears that someone doesn't like your approach or feels harassed by you and they politely ask you to cease, simply move on. No need to take out your wrath on the other person. Frankly, I am shocked by the immaturity I see here by some senior members from time to time.

Is the only recourse to ignore, then? That's pretty extreme.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx24 View Post
    I did ask ScottGem if he could remove the attorney's names and obviously he was just too busy.
    No I was not too busy, I declined to do so, because what I saw was reference to Case Law, which is public record. In that case, this was not personal but public information and no need to have it removed. If I mistook what you posted and it was not Case Law, I apologize.

As for not getting certain privileges right away. Since there is no full check when someone creates an account we do have people who will create another account to attack other people. If we let new accounts have certain privileges that would trash the boards. So there is good reason why you have to wait.

As for keeping info private, there is a warning about choosing a screen name that can't be traced back to you because our posts often come to the top in Google searches. That's why we try to remove real personal info.

Jul 3, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    I've seen this posted a time or 2 before and after looking through the rules, I cannot find where it says that one cannot make a polite request to another member to cease.
    I'm going to answer this here, but if you want to discuss this further then start a thread in the Feedback forum. I do not want the OP's thread hijacked, which is why I removed most of the posts on this issue.
    I have been contributing to bulletin boards like this for over 20 years. During that time, certain conventions of behavior have typified such sites. Two of them have been mentioned here. The first is keeping things public. As Wondergirl pointed out, this thread has over 400 views yet only 46 responses. That means a large number of people have looked in here and may have learned from the discussion. So we prefer that threads be kept public so others can benefit. Another reason is peer review. If you ask a question privately, you may get a mistaken or wrong answer that would not be corrected.

The other issue is the one passmeby asks about. I believe I am the one who has been in the lead on this issue. While we do have rules here, not all of them are written. Some are just by custom. Within the rules of this site we do not want to stifle any contributions to a thread. EVERYONE is free to post their contributions as long as they do not violate the rules. Often the correct or best answer to a question is not something the poster wants to hear. They may not like the answer, no matter how good or correct. Under that doctrine. It is rude to presume to even suggest to a person, no matter how politely, that they don't want any individual to post to their threads or respond to their posts. That is dictating to someone how they can use this site. In the specific case in this thread, the poster posted inaccurate information and that was pointed out. If you don't like being corrected then be more careful what you post! As long as I am a moderator on this site, this will NOT be condoned or sanctioned. Anytime anyone presumes to dictate who can or can't respond, they will be warned that that is not allowed.

I hope this answers your question. If you or anyone want to discuss this further the Feedback forum is the appropriate place, not here.
    jeremyx24 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2009, 03:55 PM

Sorry all for being MIA over the last couple days

Jul 7, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Oops got cut off! Anyway, the 4th weekend was extremely busy for me. So here's the deal, I settled over the phone with the law firm handling the case. They said they would need a little under 1300. With the sherriff's drop off of the summons they said I owed close to $2400. I probably could have gotten it lower but this will do I suppose. I just got the letter in the mail from the firm at it states: "re: worldwide asset purchasing II LLC,
    xxx,xxx,xxx, and xxx are debt collectors for the captioned creditor. Pursuant to our recent communication, this letter will confirm that we have authority to accept as settlement for the captioned matter the sum of $1300 to be delivered to this office at the following address on or before 7/24/09."

Does this seem legit to you guys? By the way, thanks for all of your assistance in helping me resolve this burden(I know it's my own fault!! )
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Oops got cut off! Anyway, the 4th weekend was extremely busy for me. So here's the deal, I settled over the phone with the law firm handling the case. They said they would need a little under 1300. With the sherriff's drop off of the summons they said I owed close to $2400. I probably could have gotten it lower but this will do I suppose. I just got the letter in the mail from the firm at it states: "re: worldwide asset purchasing II LLC,
    xxx,xxx,xxx, and xxx are debt collectors for the captioned creditor. Pursuant to our recent communication, this letter will confirm that we have authority to accept as settlement for the captioned matter the sum of $1300 to be delivered to this office at the following address on or before 7/24/09."

Does this seem legit to you guys? By the way, thanks for all of your assistance in helping me resolve this burden(I know it's my own fault!!!)

Yes, it seems legit and thorough - without legal nonsense that no one can interpret, anyway.

You did very well!

Jul 7, 2009, 04:19 PM

Looks good to me

Jul 7, 2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks again guys, I was thinking at first that I should've told them all I could get was the $1,000 but I chickened out. Haha When it comes to legal issues, I'm not so tough! I just wanted to make sure that their letter didn't suggest anything about me paying them and then still owing and I figured you knew better than me. Do you think that this was a fair settlement or do you think I could have gotten it dropped down a tad? Overall, I'm pretty pleased and I don't have court Thursday!
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 7, 2009, 08:00 PM

Good to see you again, I was anxiously waiting to see the outcome! Thanks a million for coming back and satisfying all our curiosities!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 04:29 AM
    ... I just got the letter in the mail from the firm at it states:
    "... Pursuant to our recent communication, this letter will confirm that we have authority to accept as settlement for the captioned matter the sum of $1300 to be delivered to this office at the following address on or before 7/24/09." ...
    Before this is all history be sure that you get a copy of an order (or some document actually from the court file) dismissing the case.

Jul 8, 2009, 04:24 PM

Good idea AK(the original court date was for tomorrow morning, should I call the courthouse and make sure it's been cancelled?) Shouldn't the letter they sent have the total amount owed enclosed in it down to where it was settled? And shouldn't there be something stating that once paid, they will inform the credit bureaus that the account has been settled in full? I may be getting ahead of myself but I was sitting at work today and all of these thoughts about getting worked over started getting to me.

Jul 10, 2009, 02:49 PM

Bump

Jul 10, 2009, 04:02 PM

The reason it is starting to get to me is because over the last couple of days I have been doing some research.

1st-I read that since I'm not paying in full the scum company might sell of the existing debt. They said I owe 2400 but will settle for 1300, which leads to 1100 that some other scuzz bucket could collect on

2. The letter they sent doesn't say anything about the amount I owe after giving them the 1300 to make my balance set to $0

3. The first sentence is the meat of their letter and it states, "Pursuant to our recent communication, this letter wioll confirm that we ahve the authority to accept as settlement for the captioned matter the sum of 1300 to be delivered to this office....
    It doesn't say anything about it being "settle in full", or "0" balance remaining after I give the 1300. I'm just really sckeptical to give these clowns 1300 and then the account stays open.. What kind of statements should I get in writing before I give these clown the money?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:00 PM

They are accepting IN SETTLEMENT. That means IN FULL SETTLEMENT.

If you are uncomfortable with their language, counteroffer with your own language.

I don't see a problem.

Here's my problem - whether they are clowns or not, you owe them the balance plus fees, interest, costs. You are getting off cheap so repeatedly calling them "clowns" is unfair. They are settling for less so I'm not sure how clown-ish they are.

If you are uncomfortable with what they are offering by means of language, request the words FULL AND COMPLETE be added.

We are all volunteers here. I realize you are looking for answers quickly but the "bump" doesn't really get that answer any more quickly.

Jul 10, 2009, 06:42 PM

It's not the settling I have a problem with, it's me paying the $1300 and then having them sell out the rest of the amount they say I owe to someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?

Working hours vs lunch hours [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am presently working. I love my job so it's not an issue to me if everyday, I come in to work earlier than I should be and going home later than I should, eversince I was employed in this company. Today, our HR had sent me an email with our CEO copied on reminding me that my lunch hour is...

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Hours [ 1 Answers ]

How many days a week do you work and how many hours are you typically working :eek:

View more questions Search