Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isppellgood Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Emotions overriding common sense
    I've got this situation under control as of now. Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 06:17 AM
    First thing, totally not related to you question but I like your screen name, I got a laugh out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by isppellgood
    I've been seeing this girl for about a year now, and it's been the best thing in my entire life. We've talked aboout marriage already, and in two more years we will be married (god willing).
    Although you don’t say it, I get the impression your still in high school. If that is true you have no business talking marriage.

Recently, however, a lot has come into play. A former friend of her made moves on her, and with her permission I talked to him (she was with me when I was on the phone). However, this guy went around and told everyone he knew that she was a slut and I was a major nutcase. I don't live in the same town as she does, so I wasn't affected. However, she lost almost every friend she has, and since her school community is very small she has become an outcast. She blames me for this when she's very upset, but for the most part she's forgiven me and I'm okay even if she's still upset.
    Something doesn’t add up here. Either you’re leaving something out or she is hiding something or seeking some kind of drama. There are more questions than answers. For example if this other guy did make moves on her, why did she tell you. If it was just to let you know, why did you confront him? Did you know him before this? Was she ultimately seeking the confrontation between you two?

Maybe she was seeing him behind you back and he slighted her, so she sought you out call him. Maybe she was seeing him and she slighted him and had you call him to rub it in. Either way it would be consistent with him calling her a slut and her friends leaving her. There’s no way he’s going to start calling her a slut and you a nutcase or her friends are going to leave her if this guy doesn’t have some other kind of motivation. What I’m saying is that those reactions by those two separate groups of people are not consistent with what you are telling us.

However, a friend's mother is dying from cancer, so this and the forced outcast has made her very stressed out. She called me two days ago to tell me that she wants to take a break. She made it very clear that she just wanted two weeks to get her act together, and that she still loved me and and wanted to marry me.
    Why would she even bring that up? You said the marriage wasn’t for another two years?

Later that night she texted me with a very sweet message. I know I'm not in danger of being dumped,
    I’m not so sure of that by this comment below

She pretended not to know me, and people started asking me questions about what was going on and I quickly became depressed.
    Yeah I’m not saying that she had to hang with you but if I plan on marrying someone I’d probably at least say hello to them. I bet she was attempting to purposely make you jealous.

I saw her having fun with some people, and I quickly became even worse.
    Yep, it worked to.

I took her aside and told her how I felt, but it came out wrong and I ended up sounding like a selfish jerk.
    Did she tell you that? I’m not so sure you’re the selfish jerk here. I still think there’s more to this story. That being said, if she was ignoring you, you should have ignored her right back. By approaching her and opening up to her you put the power in her hands. She was having fun, and it made you upset. She got what she wanted out of you. You should have either had fun with other people or left.

She told me she still loved me, but she wouldn't even hug me goodbye.
    Well that’s behavior by somebody that’s blowing you off, while making you jealous and depressed at the same time. She is doing it on purpose that is for sure.

I don't know what to do, I'm really stressed out and I don't ever want to lose her. It's too hard for me to leave her alone, especially since I didn't do anything to push her away.
    Maybe you didn’t but she just wanted to see other people. The truth is your probably never going to know. Maybe you come off too needy to her and that is driving her away. Approaching her at the dance wasn’t a smooth move that is for sure.

I'm not seeing her for these two weeks anyway because she's away, but every minute I feel like I need to contact her. What should I do?
    You should not contact her for sure. In fact at the end of the two weeks you shouldn’t contact her at all. Let her contact you to see if she does. You are coming off way to desperate. I still think you holding something back or something's not adding up here about that whole phone call. There’s more to that than meets the eye.

Oct 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
    I've got this situation under control as of now. Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Honestly it does not sound like a true relationship. Especially if you live in a different area. Especially if she is blaming you for things that are not of any concern to you. Her being an outcast in her own town is her own fault especially if people do know her as a slut. So what would I do, first I would stop. Break is a break. Enough is said. She is seeing other people from what I gather. Or maybe you think you have a relationship with this person but it was never there except for in your head?

Does any of this make sense?

Joe
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 14, 2006, 02:47 PM
    I saw her having fun with some people, and I quickly became even worse. I took her aside and told her how I felt, but it came out wrong and I ended up sounding like a selfish jerk. She told me she still loved me, but she wouldn't even hug me goodbye. I don't know what to do, I'm really stressed out and I don't ever want to lose her. It's too hard for me to leave her alone, especially since I didn't do anything to push her away. I'm not seeing her for these two weeks anyway because she's away, but every minute I feel like I need to contact her. What should I do?
    Just in case you have not heard this reply before... that is the danger of the question... the truth will come out... as softy as I can say it... move on... there are others waiting for a sensitive guy... look in the right places... volunteer... become a mentor... share your experiences... some one is out there just waiting for you... I am serious... you are just not looking in the right places... take some evening courses... meet someone willing to be with some one that does not want the thug life... move on..!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Take the break she said she wanted. I'd even make it longer than two weeks. No contact at all whatsoever. If she worries that much about what other people think then this is a huge red flag that you need to consider very carefully. She may be using that as an excuse to break away from you and reconsider everything. You should do the same. Get out and do things with yourself and others that don't include her. Make her realize that you don't need her and can be just as happy without her as with her. It's your best chance for possibly salvaging your relationship.

Oct 14, 2006, 08:02 PM
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Sounds like he has the situation under control?! :rolleyes:
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Sounds like he has the situation under control?????!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    I don't think we gave him the advice he wanted to hear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the most common format of DVD [ 5 Answers ]

What do most DVD players play? Is it DVD-R or DVD+R? What is the most common? What format are most DVD videos that you buy?

Strange emotions [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very weird problem - I am overcome with a sort of negative emotion that I can't describe whenever I see a particular thing. Of the many things that will bring this on, some of the worst are the angle of the sunlight, certain old cars, tall trees, wood panneling, old houses, children,...

If you have a sense of humour, you have to read this! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I used to go out with a guy called Mike. It wasn't really a serious relationship - I never slept with him or anything. When I went out with him, he was pretty materialistic, for example he refused to buy anything that wasn't designer branded like Versace etc, he constantly tried to...

Making Sense of Mortgage Speak... [ 1 Answers ]

The bank is telling me I can get this mortgage. What does it mean in plain english, cause as they wrote it it makes no sense to me: "The loan product for the first mortgage is a monthly adjustable tied to one month libor plus a margin of 2.55 with a half of a point. The second is tied to prime...

Sense and Sensibility [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a question about Jane Austin's book "Sense and Sensibility". How can you compare Elinor's and Marianne's character? Thanks

View more questions Search