Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2006, 02:45 AM
    A weird problem with my dial up
    Now a day, I usually get disconnected but the two small comuters (the connection icon) still remains on my taskbar and even if I try to disconnect it, it does't work. When I try to connect again, it says that your modem is already in use. Every time this problem occurs, I have to restart my computer to go online again.

I am using Win XP.
    I have AVG, McAfee, AdAware and Ewido Anti Spyware Installed and updated.

Please help me.

GB
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 14, 2006, 03:04 AM
    Sounds like you have a rogue dial hijacking your connection.
    Best advice would be to seriously scan your system, both for viruses and Spyware.
    I see you already have adaware and ewido, Spybot is also worth trying.
    When scanning its best to do it in Normal and Safe moe to ensure everything is removed.

Before you start scanning make sure you've cleared your internet cache (history, temp files and cookies) makes the scan run faster.
    A good little program that can help with this is CCleaner also helps to remove any junk files and does a good job of cleaning your registry too.

Good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2006, 05:45 AM
    Another possibility is that something is causing you to lose your connection, either noise on the line, someone picking up an extension, a problem on the ISPs end, etc. When this happens, the modem is not being reset to be able to dial again. What you would need to do is send a hangup code to the modem.

How to do so depends on what modem you have.

Frankly, I would recommend getting broadband.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird bathtub drain problem? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my bathtub drain is leaking but will only leak when tub is full of water ,and the plug pulled, then it leaks downstairs but... when tub is empty and plug is out and I let the water run into the tub and down the drain it does NOT leak why is that any help would be greatly...

91 Civic weird problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Looking for some advice with my 2001 Civic 1.6 vtec manual. It starts and runs fine, but at low speeds (like when trying to just trickle along just off tickover in first gear), it doesn't run smooth but does this kind of rhythmic 'lurch'. Also (which may be connected) when you change...

A weird problem.. please help me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks ahead, for anyone who'd try to help me figuring out what's going on with my computer. I have this problem over the past two years! But it somehow solved and occur by itself.. Anyway here it is: I have my two computer, one desktop and one laptop, connected through a switching hub(8...

Automatic dial up [ 2 Answers ]

I have W2000 56modem. I want my computer to automatically dialup so I can go straight to my programs. I know that you have to uncheck the never dial a connection, but mine will not clear or uncheck. What do I do.

View more questions Search