Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magoo_01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
    8 Month old Mini Dashund will not stop peeing on Carpet
    I have a 8 month old miniature daschund, we love him to death, but we can’t seem to train him to pee outside.
    We use treats and praise when he goes, but find he can be outside 20 30 minutes, come back inside and within 5 minutes pee or poop on the carpet.
    This was hard enough, but now he is peeing right on our furniture.
    He also pee’s when he is excited, almost every time we come home from work, or even leave for a few minutes when we open his crate he is bound to pee almost instantly.
    We do crate him at night, he will not poop in it, but he will pee, plus he cries for very long times when we but him down for the night. This after months of him going into the craft; not sure what I am doing wrong, we purchased a steam cleaner and are constantly cleaning up after him, so I am unsure of how to break him of these habits. ( or is this just an age thing)
    Any help would be appricated.
    area51Nmore Posts: 19, Reputation: -5

Jun 29, 2009, 01:47 PM

Um rub his nose in it but don't be rugh or mean then put him on a leash and put him outside for timeout that sound good?

Jun 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
    O you when you put him in a crate make sure there is plenty of room in there for him like were you can put water in there k
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 02:43 PM

You may have to start from scratch when it comes to housetraining.
    Don't punish him when he goes in the house - chances are he won't be able to make the connection, and all that punishing him will accomplish is making him urinate when you aren't around.
    Take him out to pee after he eats, after he wakes up from a nap, etc etc. Praise him when he goes. If he goes outside, comes back in and pees, put him outside.

As far as the excitement urination goes, that is a phase a lot of dogs go through. Try completely ignoring him when you come home, or let him outside so he can get his pee out then. Chances are his bladder is full from the day anyway.

Jun 29, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    You may have to start from scratch when it comes to housetraining.
    Don't punish him when he goes in the house - chances are he won't be able to make the connection, and all that punishing him will accomplish is making him urinate when you aren't around.
    Take him out to pee after he eats, after he wakes up from a nap, etc etc. Praise him when he goes. If he goes outside, comes back in and pees, put him outside.

As far as the excitement urination goes, that is a phase a lot of dogs go through. Try completely ignoring him when you come home, or let him outside so he can get his pee out then. Chances are his bladder is full from the day anyways.
    That will get u no were
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by area51Nmore View Post
    that will get u no were
    Oh? And what will rubbing its face in it accomplish? He will not be able to make the connection - the only thing that rubbing his nose in it will do is make him not want to go to the bathroom in front of you - that INCLUDES outside.
    Oh, and read up on crate training before offering advice on it.

Jun 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Oh? And what will rubbing its face in it accomplish? He will not be able to make the connection - the only thing that rubbing his nose in it will do is make him not want to go to the bathroom infront of you - that INCLUDES outside.
    Oh, and read up on crate training before offering advice on it.
    OK I don't care were your from or what you do or what you know I don't want to know about your uptown ways I'm telling you how I got my dog to go if she went on the mat then a treat was given if she went in the floor she got her nose rubbed in it and was put in time out and when you have a wimpering dog in a cage it feels locked up and feels that he/she has no one there so do not freaking tell me that I'm giving bad advice when you are telling her to do the same thing she has been trying no one said she has to listen to me and no one says she has to listen to you

Good luck with your advice
    jkennedy99 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2009, 09:12 AM

Area51, rubbing her nose it may have worked for your dog (congrats) but no good trainer advises this method anymore. Many dogs believe actually going to the bathroom is "bad" when their nose is rubbed in it and it can lead to more problems.

Magoo, I would also suggest giving your dog a separate better treat when he goes to the bathroom outside, like a pepperoni. Also, you need to clean the areas he went with a pet cleaner, as the smell makes them go in the same spots again. Good luck:)
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by area51Nmore View Post
    ok i dont care were your from or what you do or what you know i dont wanna know about your uptown ways im telling you how i got my dog to go if she went on the mat then a treat was given if she went in the floor she got her nose rubbed in it and was put in time out and when you have a wimpering dog in a cage it feels locked up and feels that he/she has no one there so do not freaking tell me that im giving bad advice when you are telling her to do the same thing she has been trying noone said she has to listen to me and no one says she has to listen to you

gud luck with your advice
    You do not put a dog in a cage as punishment. A cage should be a dog's safe spot, it's den, not it's jail cell.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:25 AM

As stated before, after eating, playing napping, etc. take your dog out to go potty. If he goes give him a treat. You have about 3 seconds to do this after he goes before he doesn't realize why you're giving him a treat (and lots of praise). That's what our trainer told us. For example, if you wait until you bring him in, you're just giving him a treat for going back in the house.

If you catch your dog going in the house, clap your hands or make some kind of distracting noise so that he stops going and bring him outside to finish the job. It won't take long for him to learn. Consistency is key. My husband tried yelling at our dog and putting her nose in pee/poop and she only ended up being afraid of him.

Jun 30, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    you do not put a dog in a cage as punishment. a cage should be a dog's safe spot, it's den, not it's jail cell.
    I don't I put her out side on a fliping leash WTFreak! PEOPLE I GET THE FLIPING POINT!

Jun 30, 2009, 06:58 PM

Omgosh people plzz stop I have it in my head now and none of you know me so plzz just stop :( OK bye
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Is school out or are there dog owners who really know nothing about dogs *sigh*
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat started peeing on carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old persian cat, he has always used a litter tray but in the past couple of days has started to pee by the front door on the carpet. Yesterday when I let him out he used the neighbours front door mat to pee on. I know he is getting old but I do not understand why he is doing this...

Dog peeing on carpet [ 4 Answers ]

The dog we dog-sit often pees everyday on our carpet!! Same place(s) everyday! The dog is trained and a super good dog at her house but... at my house pees, every single day and even pooped, sloppy poop today! We take our dog and the guest dog out several times before we leave, we even cut back...

Peeing on the carpet [ 2 Answers ]

I have two female dogs. My female beagle mix has recently started peeing in the living room. We though maybe we weren't leaving them out long enough, so started doing that. We thought maybe we weren't taking them out enough, so started doing that. But this doesn't seem to be the problem. ...

Any info for a 2 month old mini schnauzer? [ 2 Answers ]

I brought home a new edition to my family, a 2 month old mini schnauzer. She is the only pet I have and all she does is sleep and hasn't ate at all since I got her from the pet store. Should I be worried? She does play for a little while and potty's OK, just need to know if this is normal for her...

9 year old dog has started peeing on new carpet [ 2 Answers ]

Our 9 year old female dog has started peeing on new carpeting that has recently been put in the basement. She never goes anywhere else in the house and she only does it when we are gone or sleeping. She has a doggy door to go out side when ever she would like which is half way down the basement...

View more questions Search