Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Windyhill Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Home for my moth
    What should I use for a home for my moth. How big should it be? How much water do they drink, too?

Katelyn
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 06:15 PM

Hi again, Windyhill!

As with your other question, I've moved this one also to a more appropriate forum topic area.

We would appreciate it, if you would return to Introductions to tell us a little bit about yourself, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, Windyhill!

As with your other question, I've moved this one also to a more appropriate forum topic area.

We would appreciate it, if you would return to Introductions to tell us a little bit about yourself, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    Not to be fussy Clough, but shouldn't this be in entomology?

A moth really isn't a pet.

Just asking. ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 07:48 PM

Hmmm... You're probably correct! But, I can't move things in this or Entomology because I don't moderate either of those forum topic areas.

Although, the feeling that I get from Katelyn is that she might be viewing her moth as more of a pet than something having to do with science.

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 08:05 PM
    hmmm... You're probably correct! But, I can't move things in this or Entomology because I don't moderate either of those forum topic areas.

Although, the feeling that I get from Katelyn is that she might be viewing her moth as more of a pet than something having to do with science.

Thanks!
    True. Unfortunately not many of the pet people know a lot about moths. It's an insect.

Should I ask another mod to move it?

I think she'd get better answers about caring for her moth from an insect expert.

I do know a little about moths. I know they are hard to keep in captivity.

They need nectar to survive. They need to fly. They need room.

Beyond that I don't know anything.

It would probably be best (for the moth) to let it go.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:11 PM

You make some excellent points in your post, Alty! (I couldn't spread the rep so soon!)

Yes, an Expert on insects would be the best to answer her questions.

What I know about moths is that some of them can be absolutely beautiful!

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
    You make some excellent points in your post, Alty! (I couldn't spread the rep so soon!)

Yes, an Expert on insects would be the best to answer her questions.

What I know about moths is that some of them can be absolutely beautiful!

Thanks!
    My friend is an entomologist. His specialty is moths. :)

We found a moth last year. My son wanted to keep it. I called him, asked him what to do. He's the one that told us it would be very difficult to keep it in captivity.

We released it.

There's more to keeping moths then one would think. It's a lot of work and you need the know how.

Some of the moths my friend raised were as big as birds. Beautiful colors. Incredible creatures.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jun 30, 2009, 11:58 AM
    I really don't think you should keep a moth as a pet because moths are suppose to be able to fly around having as much space as they need. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything but imagine a giant putting you in a bottle or something and not knowing what to give you for food and killing you either from starvation or lack of space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Giant moth/butterfly? [ 5 Answers ]

I was sitting in my room one day reading a book and I looked up and there was a moth on my doorway it started flying around and each wing was the size of my hand! It was pretty cool looking one side of the wings was grey like a regular old moth and the inside of the wings were black and orange just...

Giant moth/butterfly? [ 4 Answers ]

I was sitting in my room one day reading a book and I looked up and there was a moth on my doorway it started flying around and each wing was the size of my hand! It was pretty cool looking one side of the wings was grey like a moth and the inside of the wings were black and orange just like a...

Spruce bud moth? [ 16 Answers ]

Is there anyone that can identify a moth? I have good photo's of it. This moth is about 35 miles south of Great Falls, Montana. The web is literally covering every tree on our property.. 20 acres as well as everywhere I look. Even across the river in the National Forest. I think it may be the...

Moth like bugs in cupboard [ 2 Answers ]

I have small moths in my cupboard. They have infested my walnuts with a web like nest? Every time I open my spice cupboard these moths fly out. How can I get rid of them and keep my cabinets bug free?

How to sooth a 6 moth old teething [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 6 months old and is having a horrible time with teething. He's his nornal happy, smilling and giggling self, but when his teeth start to hurt he does this whimpering thing and then cries if I don't hold him right away. I feel horrible because all I know what to do is to hold him, give...

View more questions Search