Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan Yang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Corporate governance
    I need to know how does corporate Governance apply to Public Canadian companies
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 11:57 PM
    Corporate Governance is a HUGE topic. Do you have a more specific question?

For example, in terms of auditing, there are new standards which require a greater degree of corporate governance and inspection, etc and new procedures and all.

Oct 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

I want to know how Corporate Governance apply in private and public companies of Canada. I have no idea at all, this is a totally new topic for me. How does "Sarbanes-Oxley" apply to Corporate Governance? Could you please just give me some hits?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 09:27 PM
    SOX does NOT apply to Canadian public or private companies since SOX is a piece of US legislation.

The only time SOX applies to Canadian public companies, is if they also trade on an American stock exchange.

For example, Tim Horton's. Tim's trade's both on the TSE and the NYSE. Therefore, they are required to follow SOX for their trading on the NYSE. If they chose NOT to trade on the NYSE, they would NOT have to follow SOX.

Oct 17, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Thanks a lot!
    1. I think SOX is a two-side sword for Canadian companies. On the one hand, as
    Many Canadian companies are listed in the U.S. stock exchanges, they have to
    Follow the SOX, which means increased compliance costs. On the other hand, as
    The Canadian legal environment is more friendly, we actually see more U.S. and
    International companies will use the Toronto Exchange as an alternative for NYSE
    And NASDAQ. By listing on the TSX, companies generally don't have to follow SOX,
    Therefore, the legal and compliance costs are much lower.

Is that correct?
    isha_miranda Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Yang
    I need to know how does corparate Governance apply to Public Canadian companies
    Q: I need to know how does corporate Governance apply to private and Public Canadian companies?

I am not sure the answers above are for the Original Question? If the person could make it more specific on question it might help al of us to answer the question.
    Corporate Governing it self is complex and very broad subject.

For me Corporate Governance make more rules than vision to governing the body.
    What we need is More Canadian Companies elaborate their vision to the world needs and standards in the corporate world.

Growth of the Canada Born Companies stimulate in the process of early age and declined along with their process too. That is why most of the companies ending at hand of AMERICAN or EUROPEON buyer for further development.

The rules make Canada private and public more traditional than moderate. If the Rules could change the face of the company? Rules needs broader vision and imagination too for bright success.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifting of the corporate veil [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've just started the company law subject this semester, I did not understand the "lifting of the corporate veil". Can you give me a detailed explanation on this matter. Regards MMM20

Corporate tax [ 2 Answers ]

Ex.) Act as if a newly formed corporation receives property from an 80% controlled member. The member contributed property with a basis of $50,000 and a FMV of $100,000. In return, the corporation distributed $100,000 of its stock to the individual, which is like a like-kind exchange, which...

Business / Corporate Law [ 2 Answers ]

Please I need case studies on Company and Business Law. Regards.

Corporate Vehicle Lease. Please Help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, If Anyone Can Help It Would Be Much Appreciated. Location Is New York. I Would Like To Know If A Vehicle That Is Leased By A Corporation Of Which I Am The Owner, Can Be Registered To Me And Insured To Me And Still Be Used As A Tax Write Off On My Personl Return (schedule E) At The End Of...

View more questions Search