Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13henny Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Computer science O LEVEL
    Anyone expert(s) preparing to guide/help me to complete my project if possible.
    Thank you
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 04:48 AM

Depends on what your project is and how much time it will take.

Jun 29, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Depends on what your project is and how much time it will take.
    Hello back.. thanks for your kind quick reply...
    Here's attachments for you to see...

PAGE 2: CONTENT

PAGE 3 : Computerization of Nursery:
    THIS IS THE PROJECT REPORT FORMAT:

Project Abstract: Define nursery business how its conducts in real life

Requirements: Look at possible problems in the business, salary, timekeeping, record keeping, growth monitoring of children and many numerous things/jobs

Solution Summary: Apply computers and show possibilities solutions

a)Payroll system for salary
    Time management sysytem
    Library management
    Tests and results, etc
    Parents- Teachers Meeting
    Files/vaccinations ( complete details including medicals and any allergies, etc)

Summary : How to apply computers will help the nursery in
    a)Being a better management organisation
    b)Keeping children, teachers and parents happy with good benefits( e.g.. Completing the given feedback/questionnaire given)

PAGE 4 Definition
    Nursery refers to an educational institution for small youngsters from two to four years of age. It is distinguishable from a day nursery in that it serves children of both working and non working parents, rarely receives public funds.Generally, this playgroup is highly staffed by qualified teachers and other professionals who encourage and supervise educational play rather than simply providing daytime childcare.
    Amazingly,the first nursery schools were opened in London in 1907.In those
    Old days, every woman was supposed to take care of their homes and babies.

PAGE 5 'Understanding the problem' (Analysis of a Problem) 

In this case lets look at the facts: "figure out how the data--attendance, payment, salaries, funding from outside sources, etc--are being recorded by hand, why that's a problem, "

Problem: "everything is being recorded by hand" "possible by different
    hands every time" , Some readable writing some not readable writing:
    Why is this a problem?
    ANSWER: Because when one deals with 'data' specifically 'financial' data which is being described ( Payments, salaries,funding etc) it is critical that the numbers are recorded legible and correctly.

"Human intervention in the form of hand written books in various hand written
    forms can cause mistakes when dealing with financial data."

In order to automate the system, I would have 

(a) a swipe card system, that automatically clocks when people are entering and leaving the building - this has the advantage that it can also serve as a security system to keep unwanted outsiders from entering the premises

(b) a computer-based file system with the names of the teachers + whether they're on an hourly payment or proper salary this should be flexible enough to allow adding + retiring personnel + editing personnel details in essence though, it has the advantage of making subsequent calculations automatic when combined with the time records of the swipe card system

(c) a calendar system that keeps track of when salaries and other regular expenses have to be paid, and flags up such events to the secretarial staff

(d) an entry system for keeping track of payments and receipts, which are to be added to the same book-keeping system as your salaries - these could then distinguish between payments/receipts, internal/external and charitable/non charitable, which I assume will affect the tax status of any in/outgoings

The director-in-charge will, however, have to make a decision whether he will buy a bespoke solution, have one custom-made for you or develop one in-house
    The first solution is probably preferable, provided it really suits your needs, as it is likely to be the cheaper than a custom-made solution in-house development is only an option if you have qualified personnel that can create such a system, and although cheaper, you're on your own if it goes wrong

PAGE 6 OBJECTIVE now changes: Focus on what would FIX the problem, i.e. a
    Computer software program that can:
    - Record attendance ( Clock in and out)
    - Record Payments ( To whom, the amount, date and time)
    - Record Receipts (From Whom, the amount, date and time)
    - Record Current Salaries for each Teacher/Instructor (Based on either
    'Hourly pay' or 'Salary' pay types).
    - Record Funding of Charitable or NON Charitable Receipts/payments
    From outside sources.

PAGE 7 DESCRIPTION OF EXISTING SYSTEM:  Manual Financial System

Solution:
    Computer software program that can:
    - Record attendance ( Clock in and out)
    - Record Payments ( To whom, the amount, date and time)
    - Record Receipts (From Whom, the amount, date and time)
    - Record Current Salaries for each Teacher/Instructor (Based on either
    'Hourly pay' or 'Salary' pay types).
    - Record Funding of Charitable or NON Charitable Receipts/payments
    From outside sources.
    - Provides TAX Solutions for end of year closeout of books.

Types of Solutions : Small Business Accounting Software
    References:
    HYPERLINK "http://software.forbes.com/payroll-software" Payroll Software: payroll accounting software solution - Software Finder at Forbes Powered by Capterra

PAGE 8 Existing System Evaluation:

Advantages:
    - Manual methods IF kept by one person then one person can keep track if organized: For example a CPA firm is considered a Manual method whereby the firm hands over books to CPA for electronic entry and
    Keeping.
    There are further advantages of a computerised system:
    (1) human error in calculations excluded
    (2) relatively easy to report and summarise from the detailed records
    (3) provided there's a proof-reading stage before data entries are accepted in the system, the initial data should be relatively error-free

Disadvantages:
    Manual methods of accounting are costly CPA whereby if you utilize a Software solution AND Train the correct people who will use it properly will save the firm time and money in the long run.

Moreover there are next disadvantages of a compputerised system:
    (1) there's still a chance of typos slipping through the net
    (2) the cost of a swipe system / workstation / software
    Knowledge of the systems is required + training of personnel that have to interact with it

(It's all about computer programs, not about what constitutes a nursery.  She
    Needs to figure out how the data--attendance, payment, salaries, funding
    From outside sources, etc--are being recorded by hand, why that's a
    Problem, and what kind of program would make it better.  Then it needs  to
    Be analyze the good and bad points of her choice of program)

Think of it this way:  The old slide rule was a method of which several calculations where answered. However, it took some training to use one but once you were good at it , it became second nature. That is until the math become more complicated whereby the solution now is simple a software program or calculator that can solve the problem and GRAPH a solution.

Chapter 2 & 3 are missing? Because need help!

Thank u
    Attached Images

Jun 29, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13henny View Post
    Anyone expert(s) preparing to guide/help me to complete my project if possible.
    Thank you
    No hurry please, my kind friend...
    Am sending once more attachment -last page as only 5 attachments are allowed...

Please do your best!. just organize as per your feelings!

Thanks once more!
    Attached Images

crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 07:55 AM

Hi,
    I develop custom database backends and the frontends are generally browser run with quite a bit in the middle (server-based, like PHP) and firstly am wondering if, or if not, why you have not sought out knowledge that is there. I do not seem to be insulting, but why re-invent the wheel. Maybe just improve it! Try:
    Childcare Software Guide - Choosing the Right Daycare and Childcare Management Software
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:05 AM

What questions do you have? What you posted seems to be a modestly complete set of requirements.

Jun 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
    What questions do you have? What you posted seems to be a modestly complete set of requirements.
    Thanks for your kind interest- seems I have forgot to send you the 1st paper page- quoting.
    I do hope you shall do the needful after viewing all without any doubts... please help me to organize well.. I am lost@chapter 2 & 3 please...
    Thanks once more
    Attached Images

Jun 29, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Thank you Perito, please see my above requested favour to Clarke.
    Thanks for all

Jun 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    I develop custom database backends and the frontends are generally browser run with quite a bit in the middle (server-based, like PHP) and firstly am wondering if, or if not, why you have not sought out knowledge that is there. I do not seem to be insulting, but why re-invent the wheel. Maybe just improve it! Try:
    Childcare Software Guide - Choosing the Right Daycare and Childcare Management Software
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thank you so much my kind friend... Just asking if it's possible to adjust from your given website to my given details because copying from some1's not nice.
    Awaitng from your side soon!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2009, 07:38 AM

You have to ask specific questions here. Since this is a homework assignment, site policy is that we not do this work for you. You need to show that you are doing the work. We can help with specific snags that you encounter along the way.

As Perito pointed out, all you have posted is a set of requirements, but there is really no question that we can help with at this point.

Jun 30, 2009, 11:17 PM

Hi, my fav expert.

It sounds as if you are giving me really good advice. The project outline did not ask me to design my own software, only to recommend a computerized system. I would suggest that I do as Clarke suggests and Google "Daycare Management Software". I can then list several packages I recommend.

But I also have to say that I have no idea what he's talking about in the first sentence. LOL I gather he's a programmer who creates data management software. He's saying that the software he creates is for "cloud" computing--meaning users have a subscription and access the programs via their browsers and the internet rather than buying a package and installing it on their hard drives. But I'm not sure why he told ME that unless he's explaining that he doesn't have any direct knowledge of the type of software I am writing about.

In short, the subject's really too hard and quite confused for me lately.. it's up to you if you do really want to help me esp. during this high time although I dislike to cheat or copy like my friends:-(

Thanking you and awaiting from your side.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Hi,
    Apologies for not answering sooner.

You do not have my "exploits" correct. I do not deal at this moment with "the cloud" as I am not convinced of its security, though I am convinced of its efficacy.

I began making databases in C, then C++ but they were homogenous and dependent upon the code and the ability of the client to execute and/or use that. With the use of browsers as the interface, one reaches a "lowest common denominator" of sorts in that a machine capable of running a given quality of browser will be able to access the info. I do not mean a certain browser, as I test with five, and with multiple OSs.

My main point in your project is to follow some relevant set of project design and management tools. Start with a list of what the backend must have in it. It must have multiple databases. It needs to have enrollees, employees, facility (especially if multiple,) inventory, incident report, and possibly a waiting list, calendar, etc. This is the Initiation phase of the planning, figuring out the information needed.

The system should not require an in-house "guru" to maintain the "nuts and bolts" of the software, or for that matter the hardware. These are mistakes you have in your first iteration. It should be user-friendly in that the menus will be obvious and usuable by anyone needing them. Tempering that is the levels of permission; a care provider should not be able to over book their class or change the fees, or other relevant info they should possibly be able to read but not affect. Employees accessing the human resource and payroll resources should be strictly restricted.

The requirements of the system come first. The decisions of the tools to implement come next. The actual building and testing comes next. The implementation or roll-out is next. Then it is time for feedback and change request logging. Any system will have deficiencies, mistakes, errors and downright problems. The trick is to try to get as much "right" as possible the first time round.

I hope this has provided some enlightenment. I think you "sweat" some details in your plan that are better left to others. Your main focus should be what the system should have as its parts and how the different users of the system interact with it. You do not need someone to work on th PCs, though putting paper in a printer or plugging one in, or re-booting ought to be.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Science & Programming Differences [ 3 Answers ]

What are the differences? I want to work with Java, C++, Perl, and other stuff but I can't find the approprate stuff. Maybe because I'm 15. But could one of you all help me. Thanks.

Computer science job [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be graduating after next year with a computer science degree and I am kind of worried about having to find a job and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I was wondering what kinds of jobs people get with a computer science degree. I really like programming but if I...

York University - Computer Science [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am currently in grade 12 and I am thinking of going to York University for Computer Science. I know that waterloo is one of the best universities for computers but I do not want to leave home because its really expensive. I was just wondering if anybody heard anything about the computers at...

View more questions Search