Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Stained concreted driveway spalling
    I have a concrete driveway that was poured in 2000. I purchased the house in late 2001 and in early 2003 had the concrete driveway stained. I have been unhappy with the results but received little help from the company that stained the concrete. The color did not seem to last and had several really blotchy areas. I'll add photos tomorrow if that helps. In the last year there have been several areas where the concrete is spalling. I had one small section replaced, but more and more areas are showing up. Would the staining process have contributed to this problem? They used Kemiko stain. The driveway is just over 2700sf so I'm dreading the thought of completely replacing the entire driveway. I have not used any salt. I live in Oklahoma. Any suggestions on feasibility of repairing? If it has to be replaced is there anything else that would make sense to use? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    greg2735 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 04:37 AM
    I just think the concrete wasn't mixed properly. Tinting shouldn't have any effect. Usually reputable companies stand behind their work regardless. If possible find out where other jobs were done by the company in question and see how they turned out. I'm not sure if this helps you or not. I would just dread having to re do all that @ your expense.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:35 PM

If it has to be replaced is there anything else that would make sense to use?
    Use better concrete next time. A 4,000 Psi and pour it in early spring so it doesn't set up so quick in the heat.

Concrete dyes fade. Even when we use dye bags right into the wet concrete mix it still fades over time. To prove that even further look at a fresh poured walk and how white it is and later it turns gray..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete spalling potential [ 1 Answers ]

We had a concrete patio installed late last year on a hot, dry day (in N Wis). We were the last delivery for the concrete truck, and the concrete was poured and finished late in the afternoon. It cured with a very irregular surface with many trowel marks clearly visible, many ridges and low spots...

Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? [ 4 Answers ]

Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old. Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding. Clearly...

Concrete driveway spalling [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, I have a badly spalled driveway. I am trying to find products that I can use to repair the driveway, preferably not vynal patches. All I have been able to find is ARDEX, but no one will send it to me or tell me where I can purchase it. The spalling is not deep, 1 inch or less. Any help that...

Plumbing contractor concreted in drain/water pipes box [ 2 Answers ]

I have just discovered that the plumbing contractor who built my house concreted in the area around the drain & water delivery pipes under my bathtub, instead of leaving it open or tarring it in. The drain started leaking, and the plumber I called to fix it can't fix it without removing the tub,...

Spalling cracks in leveling cement. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is it okay or normal after using semi- self leveling cement (ARDEX K-15) to level floors from feather edge to .75”, I notice spalling hairline cracks throughout the installation and I would like to know if this is going to ruin my efforts to level the floor before gluing down...

View more questions Search